Chapter 22

The French Kingdom, Beaucaire, 1255

At the beginning of 1255, we leave the coldness in Champagne for the South. Reyn takes a small troop of soldiers from the North. About forty brave knights who faced the Saracens and knew the awful Egyptian jails.

Once we reached Lyon, we went down the Rhone to Beaucaire.

The navigation remains difficult and dangerous, but we win more time than the overland route.

In Beaucaire, we take advantage of an inn in the lower town, close to the river and many fertile fields. Run by a family of boatmen, the building is comfortable and clean.

Since our departure, I'm not very talkative. And once we're in an upstairs room, Reyn is worried about me. "Taming rebellious bourgeois and lords has nothing to do with the expedition to Egypt," he explains, "I risk at most spraining a finger."

It's supposed to be funny.

Reyn rarely makes jokes, and I would have laughed in other circumstances.

But my heart isn't into it.

"I can feel that something is bothering you," he insists.

"It's just I enjoyed Chasseney! And frankly speaking, I wouldn't say I like Charles of Anjou."

"Luckily, he won't ask you to be his physician," Reyn replies. "The lord of Joinville informed me that a certain Faragio, a Jew from Sicily, was in the service of the count."

Does Reyn's instinct make him suspicious of Charles? I'm tempted to confess that I suspect the Capetian of having drugged and raped me.

But my husband will immediately want to kill him, and no doubt he will succeed.

Unfortunately, the king's revenge will fall on Reyn, his parents, and me.

We won't survive it.

With a heavy heart, I decided to keep my secret.

"Did you notice that maid wearing a big blindfold?" I say to change the subject. "She must be visually impaired, maybe because of a disease, and I want to help her."

"You've just returned to your job as a physician, and now I'm taking you to the South," he murmurs, holding me close. "But I'm sure that the wife of the new seneschal will have access to Marseille hospitals to relieve a lot of suffering."

He seems so happy about this appointment. He kisses my lips with passion, as only he knows how. I try to respond to his embrace, but my mind is elsewhere.

"Sorry! I'm tired from the trip and thirsty. How about a pitcher of good milk?"

"I can handle it," he offers, "better you rest."

"But I need to stretch my legs, and I don't want to fall into Morpheus's arms too quickly."

Our glances cross.

Amber and black onyx!

Fascinated, both hope that the night will belong to them despite the fatigue. I leave him to go down the stairs of the inn. After the last step, I see the blindfolded maid, and she immediately guesses my presence.

"May I be of service, my lady?"

"My husband and I would appreciate a pitcher of milk."

"I'll get one from the kitchens," she replies, nodding.

She moves slowly, her hand sliding along the walls to guide her. Without asking permission, I follow her lead.

"This is no place for you, my lady," she whispers with embarrassment.