Chapter 6

In 1256, towards the end of January, Aurel was ordered to leave for the castle of Safed, a formidable stone boat overhanging Lake Tiberias. Officially, he's in charge of training about four hundred knights, sergeants, turcopoles, and crossbowmen dedicated to the defense of the place.

But Aurel is in love.

He committed much carelessness, transgressing the rules of community life too often, a cement which Templars make their strength and unity in combat.

And we must hope the great master has no idea that his young monk is about to become a father.

A few people are unaware that little orphans to whom the St. John Knights generously offer nannies are children of maids or prostitutes they meet secretly. For the Temple Order, there's no lack of solutions either. So the Pope, the good Lord, and all the saints in heaven can rest easy.

Morality on earth and in heaven will endure centuries of hypocrisy and duplicity.

Before leaving, Aurel sends for a cleric who's a sworn notary. He bought the house we live in and wants to transmit the property to me with a comfortable amount. The cleric, whose tonsure doesn't prevent him from being married and father of seven children, gave me a sad look when he noticed my infirmity.

I sign Ada of Chasseney on those documents; I can't use another name for official acts. No doubt that in Champagne, Reyn is seriously thinking of marrying for the second time, or else it's already done.

Aurel didn't mention any more letters from his mother.

So how could I know?

More and more, I realize what a waking nightmare I'm living in. Something broke when I lost Reyn; I have an illusory, artificial existence with Aurel, postponing uncontrollable realities and many unanswered questions.

Is this child growing inside me a gift from God?

Or from the Devil?

Perhaps he will be monstrous?

Assuming I manage to give birth to him.

Gabriel of Edessa doesn't say much about this, but I remain young and strong, according to him. However, he doesn't venture to recognize evidence; my muscles of cripple are likely not to be robust enough to expel the child during delivery.

What if I don't survive?

What if Aurel is killed in a fight?

What will happen to my baby?

Trying to protect us by offering me this house and a large sum of money is undoubtedly commendable on Aurel's part, and I'm probably ungrateful not to be satisfied.

To my great surprise, Badiya, the Bedouin, reappeared in Acre.

She was serving the Templars when Aurel rushed to hire her, believing that her presence could distract me from my dark thoughts. She claims to have fled Cairo, frightened by the turn of events in the harem. The last I heard, Chajar-ad-Durr suffered the ravages of time. Alarmed by the weight of years, Aybak's proud wife has a chronic hatred for all young and fresh.

Badiya even swears that Chajar only eats spoiled meat and rotten fruit!

According to her, Aybak enjoys frightened virgins. And since he's finally a sultan, his desires aren't just impossible dreams.

To officially marry the widow of Touran Shah's father, Aybak had to repudiate his first wife. So she hates Chajar-ad-Durr, and Chajar hates her back. The ex-wife's revenge appeared in the form of a beautiful brunette, just fourteen years old.

To catch the sultan, the troops of the ex-wife adorned the little one like a Christmas tree. And the young lady proved far more than expected, so Chajar-ad-Durr drooled with jealousy. Cautious and on the excellent advice of his ex-wife, Aybak reinforced the guard in front of his beloved apartments while considering making her his new sultana.

In short, clans have formed in the harem, and vials of dangerous poison are exchanged among silk cushions. An epidemic of fatal falls and unexpected choking began to rage when Badiya finally managed to take off.

The Bedouin is attentive to my well-being. She has innate gifts as a masseuse, and my buttocks, too often put in my chair on wheels, need it. As a doctor, I saw awful suppuration in various places on crippled bodies. Most of the unfortunate affected suffered greatly and died quickly.

Alas!

Badiya tells me how beautiful I'm still despite my condition and how lucky the Templar is. As the days go by, she becomes a friend who helps to put my nose out of my home for the first time.

I missed the bustle, the smells, and the warm colors of Acre's markets, but I dreaded the curious looks of the crowd.

It has been almost six months since I was found half dead on the beach in the Levant. My belly is getting rounder and rounder as I wait for Aurel's return between market days and afternoons in the garden.

His absence doesn't weigh heavily on me, as I can't stop being distant from him, using my pregnancy as an excuse to avoid intimacy as much as possible.

I constantly see haunting images of Reyn, which will continue throughout my miserable life.

No doubt!

Sometimes pain and rage make me scrape my fingernails until they bleed against the wood of my damn chair on wheels.

And I fell into a dreamless sleep, almost regretting when I was a prisoner of the Mameluke soldiers because I only thought of running to freedom and my husband.

With my two legs!

***