Chapter 5

When we reached Chasseney Fortress, John of Chasseney invited my father and me to join him for supper. 

But, alas, Simon was feeling too weak. It was the eve of that awful night when he breathed his last.

I didn't know anything about it yet.

I washed with Aleppo soap, and maids mixed delicate golden threads in my braided hair. Then, adorned with a beautiful red silk gown, I crossed the great hall on our host's arm. Tables were lit by candles, covered with some luxurious fabrics, and set up for a whole army. My legs trembled at each step while troubadours were playing lively music.

I wish Simon could have been dressed like a prince at my side.

The sweet lord wanted to show everyone the daughter of the one who had saved him somewhere in distant Palestine.

And I only saw Reyn! 

And Aurel, his cousin, only saw me!

But my future husband was busy hungrily devouring his food and didn't look at me once.

Did he remember preserving my life?

Or had he already forgotten this insignificant episode?

Unfortunately, I didn't know the angel of death, like a monstrous thief, would take away Simon during the night, cruelly stealing his soul, leaving him empty-eyed and without any movement to animate his poor body again.

Before dying, Simon had revealed a terrible secret to his host that same evening.

God! Memories wash over me like fever, making my head spin.

I let out a sigh, looking at my husband. 

He doesn't sleep.

He doesn't talk to me, but I want to know if I have fulfilled my duty as a wife.

"Are you satisfied, my lord?"I ask.

"I told you to call me Reyn," he grumbles.

I'm not used to it, but I'll try.

"Reyn?"

A slight smile escapes, and I feel I have entertained him.

"I want to evoke the mystery about my origins," I explain.

"You're certainly a foreign lords' bastard, and there's nothing more," he replies.

For heaven's sake! He doesn't care about any of it.

I wish to appear humble and obedient. Simon had recommended it before supper, before falling asleep forever.

But I'm furious. 

"A huge crowned snake who devoured a child! Isn't that a frightening coat of arms?"

"Those people don't know you exist," he says without looking at me. "You have nothing to fear from them."

Alas, I'm getting angrier and angrier.

"So we didn't need to marry." 

All words slipped out of my mouth. Now he's furious, too, staring at me with evil eyes.

Beautiful amber eyes, nevertheless!

"It was the idea of your father and mine, with Theobald's agreement, my overlord," he notices sarcastically. "Theobald eventually thought about a convent for you, remember?"

Well, it's up to me with evil eyes.

And an evil face, too!

Indeed, I didn't forget the conversation with Theobald, Count of Champagne.