Chapter 3

"You weren't dead!" he repeats for the third time.

The beautiful amber eyes are burning, and he won't give up, even if I protest vehemently.

"I remember the blood in my mouth! I'm a physician and know what death looks like! When Altan left me in the water, I wasn't breathing. Then I was floating like a fish, and there was a strange light. It warmed me, seemed benevolent."

"I assure you that it's indeed a living woman I honored all this night, and I didn't finish," he whispers while putting a kiss on my lips.

Thus, we conclude the reunion without getting tired of the burning fire devouring his body and mine. For several weeks, we remain curled up against each other in the tiny house of Acre. Reyn often keeps silent, dreading when his leg will be free of bandages. But he feels no pain, which could be an encouraging sign of a complete recovery.

I no longer suffer from nightmares. Instead, I have incredible dreams in which I rise into the air, graceful and light, and then I pass through the clouds. Seen from the sky, the beautiful city of Acre is adorned with wonderful colors.

These dreams are perhaps a consequence of my long captivity, of the terrible sense that a cage had closed on me. Maybe the death angel is hidden in the shadow, patiently waiting for the end of the reprieve he has granted me.

I knew Azalia's sad destiny, and I feel responsible for having taken her with me on a fatal adventure. I think of Johannes, too, hoping that Baibars will treat this valuable physician with humanity.

My husband and his cousin are reassured because my first meeting with the Visconti went well, but they remain suspicious. And when I told them about the love games between the young Italians, my two knights weren't surprised that boys could love boys.

Since his injury, Aurel has become touchy. He met the sweet Hersende again, but they disagreed seriously.

I obtained his authorization to examine his wound on the cheek.

"The confrontation must have been brutal!" I note, removing with precautions the thick bandage covering it.

"When I saw the sword coming at me, I had the instinct to back away. It wasn't enough to avoid the blow, but at least I could save my life," he says.

"I will make a balm for you to apply morning and night, and you must also protect yourself from sunburn."

He listened carefully to my recommendations.

"Admit that you think I'm ugly," he asks sadly.

The scar runs from his chin to his temple, and it will take time for Aurel to improve both his mood and his physical condition.

"Of course not, but you will have to be patient! Your recovery will be long, as will Reyn's."

Most of the physicians in Acre say the same thing. Only about one hundred survived out of seven thousand knights who landed in Egypt. The king entrusted their command to a certain Gilles of Trazegnies while many were licking their wounds.

The king sent ships to Egypt to bring back the war machines left in Damietta. He also intends to recover all the prisoners still in the hands of the Mamelukes. The ships arrived at the port loaded with four hundred severely weakened captives, immediately transported to a hospital built by the St. John Knights, an order of soldier monks like the Templars. By messenger, Queen Marguerite informs me that the beguines, including Hersende, are already there. As there is a lack of physicians to deal with this influx of poor people, she wants me to join them.

Reyn is aware the queen has left me no choice, but he isn't keen on the idea I care for patients who might be contagious. He insisted that Aurel accompany me to the hospital of the St. John Knights, north of the city.

We go through a vast entrance reserved for civilians, in front of which some pilgrims, servants, and merchants are waiting to be treated or need a shelter for the night.

Two women with a stern look welcome us in an icy way. They wear an identical dark gown, with narrow sleeves at the wrists, practical at work. Their heads are covered with a linen cloth, also dark. They quickly ask Aurel to leave since he hasn't come to help or care.

I obediently follow the two matrons on the floors, with an intense apprehension for this unknown universe, but I want to be helpful. Finally, we end up in a place reserved for women. We walk across several rooms under the supervision of a matron who looks much more severe than the other two.

"Put on an apron and get to work," she orders curtly.

I'm responsible for changing soiled sheets and ensuring the patients have next to their bed a chamber pot.

And of course, I have to empty it.

After a rough day, the brother knights made a procession upstairs, calling the sick to pray for the pope, the king of France, the master of the order, Guillaume of Châteauneuf, still a prisoner in Cairo, and the brothers far away. They were garrisoned in Syria in the powerful fortresses of Krak or Margat.

When we meet again, Reyn is very disappointed that I emptied and cleaned chamber pots instead of saving lives. This first experience in the knight's hospital was confusing, and I didn't see Hersende or the other beguines anywhere.

We will know if Reyn has any after-effects from his fracture in a few weeks. Until then, time will pass in a peaceful litany that I would like to remain unchanged.

***