Chapter 10

As expected, several ships arrive at the port of Acre after a few weeks. I see two strange animals disembarking, surprising gifts from the Egyptians, one huge with another, smaller, looking like a donkey.

The prisoners were taken to the St. John Knights' hospital. My dear friend Johannes is among them. He has lost a lot of weight, but he's alive. I spend the whole day caring for the new arrivals, some of whom won't survive more than a week because they're so old and sick.

Johannes gradually regains his strength despite slight dysentery. Then, on Gabriel of Edessa's advice, I administer a drug to him. It's a pomegranate dried, reduced to a powder, mixed with a bit of wine and ginger.

My friend is better and tells me he treated Assia's legs. So grateful, she facilitated the return of the young physician among the Christians. Since her injury, Assia is no longer Baibars's favorite. She remains, however, his son's mother and thus has a high position in the harem of Altan's brother.

***

The Templar District isn't far from the Venetians where our house is. It's a vast place, with imposing residences. A woman, a priest's servant, pointed out a large building. Many accommodations are arranged around an inner courtyard, and the woman assured me that the newcomers live there.

I see Aurel next to several Templars, and he, too, has recognized me. I wait he condescends to walk towards me. He finally comes closer without bothering to hide his annoyance.

"You should have warned me of your visit!"

I don't get offended and follow him silently into his new home. Then we remain standing and face to face. He has never been so distant, except perhaps that day in Champagne, when he told me I was the wolf's wife.

He now wears a light beard to hide his scar. His complexion is heavily tanned, and his eyes even bluer.

For the first time, I realize how handsome he is.

"The expedition was good for you! You don't have to worry about your injury anymore because it gives you a lot of charm!"

He shrugs his shoulders and looks at me badly.

"Do you like me, my cousin?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't act so innocent," he retorts. "You always knew I love you!"

My cheeks turn red when his eyes stare at me.

"You're like a brother Aurel! A brother I never had!"

But he continues to gaze at me, moving closer.

"I explained it to Reyn," he whispers.

"What do you mean ... explained?" I ask in a worried voice.

"When I thought you were dead, I dived in search of your corpse, and my heart was breaking every time I thought I had found you. So I decided not to keep quiet anymore," he says.

I understand better now.

"I told him that I love you," he admits. "But I have no chance with you because it's him you want."

He pauses, sure of his effect.

"Well... I wish to become a Templar!"

"You can't be serious! Your mother could die from this! You're her only son, and she probably hopes for an heir."

Abruptly, he's more unpleasant and speaks to me harshly, "I won't keep you any longer, my cousin! Your husband is waiting for you!"

He thus means my leave without the slightest hesitation. Deeply offended, I go away without a word. Bitter and sad, I'm resigned to not caring about him anymore since that's his desire.

***

Days, weeks, months went by. Reyn nor I have seen Aurel again. The life of the Franks carries on in the Holy Land, behind the walls of Acre, the first stronghold in the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Our sovereign kept his knights busy reinforcing the city's fortifications and building a thick rampart around a whole district called "Mont-Musard."

Every evening, a fresh and powerful wind comes from the sea and whips through the city. After the meeting with Aurel, it dried my tears when I went back to our tiny house not far from the port.

***