Chapter 7: Media Circus

Dusk drove down to Richard Harbour with Pearson Curtis and Susco came there from office with Dawn. They parked their cars and walked down to the plaza. They chose a popular restaurant called Envy.

Unfortunately for Dusk, the newspersons had been tracking her from the moment she left Uni-Viva. Strict security put in place by Julien for Catherine meant that unlike earlier, visitors could not just walk into the campus. The Sentry AI installed at each gate verified the identity of the person and allowed only students, staff and teachers and those who had an appointment with the Administration. Even Professors could not bring a visitor unless it was specifically approved by the Administration.

So as long as Dusk was in the university campus, she was safe. Once she came outside... Everyone knew Dusk would be riding the pink hover-car. There were only 2 of them in the city, so all the newspersons had to do was watch Uni-Viva gates for the car. Once they saw her leave, they chased after her, keeping a safe distance so as not to trigger a reaction from Imperial Security (which also they were wary of).

When the 4 girls were walking down the plaza, they saw hordes of people running towards them. Seeing so many newspersons, camera drones and the accompanying chaos, many other visitors at the Plaza also gravitated towards them. They were curious, thinking perhaps some celebrity had come to Richard Harbour Plaza and there would definitely be some drama. Everyone loved a good drama happening before their eyes. Social Media was always hungry for such posts.

Immediately, Imperial Security built a Protective ring around her and kept the newspersons and all curious bystanders away. But they started shouting questions to her, which was heard by everyone else.

"Ms. Hale, why did you go to the Crown Prince's room in the middle of the night?"

"Ms. Hale, what was so urgent that you had to waste money flying down to Regis in the middle of the night?"

"Are you responsible for arrest of Crown Prince's mother? What did you complain about? How can you be so mean?"

"Yeah, don't you have any feelings for family rights? You forced the Crown Prince to arrest his own mother even? How can you destroy a family like that?"

Dusk ignored the questions and signalled to her companions to move to the restaurant. Dawn who had never seen newspersons other than on holovision, felt scared and tried to hide behind the protective cover of her sister. While Susco was getting more and more bugged with the questions, Pearson seemed unaffected.

"Ms. Hale, I am from Royal Chasers channel. All our viewers are curious about what happened that night. Can you tell us why you went there in the middle of the night? I hope it's not a state secret, in which case I will withdraw the question."

Dusk found one newsperson to be rational and decent. He had identified the channel, which she had often followed herself. She stopped the Security Officer and turned to the one who asked.

"Well, I don't think it is a state secret, but in spite of that, I am under no obligation to give you details of why I had visited Regis or what I discussed. I think, as a citizen of Bravadia, I am entitled to that much of privacy. You are free to ask His Majesty if you wish. He will be in a better position to know whether the question can be answered... Now, I have come for dinner with my friends, so I will appreciate if you do not disturb us."

"Ms. Hale, I am from Young Achiever's Channel." One female shouted, seeing she was willing to answer questions. "Our viewers have been inundating us and our message boards with questions about you. Are you the girlfriend of His Majesty, Julien Lidwig? There are millions of us who are eager to hear that our Crown Prince has found the love of his life. I hope you are not going to deny us!"