Chapter 99: Training Under Shanit

The morning started early for Dawn Hale. The maid woke her up at 5:30 in the morning.

"Really? Are you serious?" she asked. The maid did not appear apologetic. Instead she firmly said, "Her Highness, Lady Princess Shanit has ordered you to be in the roof-top garden before sunrise."

Dawn groaned, muttered curses under her breathe and scrambled to get ready. Even Catherine wouldn't dare to keep her mother waiting. The maid came running after her to help her get ready.

Ten minutes later, she was rushing to the terrace and saw Catherine was just in front of her, also speeding up the steps. Just as she reached the top (with Dawn probably 5-8 steps behind), there was a bellow.

"CATHERINE!"

Dawn stopped immediately and froze on the stairs, but below the visibility level of someone on the terrace. She heard Catherine ask tentatively, "Yes Mom?"

"Why are you running like that? Is there a monster after you? Don't you know that a Princess is supposed to walk gracefully? This is not the time when Marshall is teaching you defence moves! Can't you distinguish the two? You are supposed to set an example for Dawn."

Dawn slowly ascended the remaining stairs behind Catherine and gracefully curtsied to Shanit. "Good Morning, Your Highness! I am sorry for the delay in my response. I was not informed of the plan earlier and it took me a bit of time to get ready. And I believe running on the stairs is dangerous. Please excuse my tardiness."

Catherine looked at her in surprise and then glared. She had heard the footsteps behind and knew the only reason her friend escaped punishment was she heard the admonition. But Dawn did not see why she needed to get scolded just to keep Catherine company.

She turned and greeted Catherine, "Good Morning, Your Highness, Princess Catherine. I was not aware you were to be here too."

"Catherine! Stop grinding your teeth. What happened to your manners. A Princess needs to remain calm and controlled at all times." Shanit ordered. Then she turned to Dawn. "Dawn Hale, you walked down gracefully?"

Dawn was suddenly apprehensive. She wondered what the Lady had seen. She knew she was below the Lady's line of sight and there was no way she would have been seen running. However, the question was a pointed one, like the Lady didn't believe her.

While she hesitated, Lady Shanit continued, "In that case, why is there a sheen of perspiration on your forehead?"

Dawn stammered, trying to think of a reply when Shanit said sternly, "Do not lie to me in future. And Catherine, see how important it is to pay attention to details, people and your self. Being caught telling lies is not good. But how did you not notice she was sweating?

"Now, both of you come and sit here. Look over towards the east. The sky is dark now but do you see the fingers of light over the horizon? This is not the best place to see the sunrise. Tomorrow we will go to Down-Land Training ground and on 6th day we will see the sunrise from Ci'gazze bay."

They sat on the lounge chairs as the Sol Star slowly rose over the trees at the end of the garden and the sky brightened. It changed from dark blue to light shades of pink, then yellow and finally the normal morning sky.

Both the girls had not seen a sunrise for a long time. Catherine had seen it before, but always during Military Training, not in the best frame of mind to appreciate it. Dawn took images on her communicator and posted them on pictorial.

"Why did we have to wake up so early for this, mom?" Catherine asked.

"Didn't you find it beautiful?"