Chapter 41: Offer for Farmhand Estate

The trip to Regis was quickly organised. There was a brief argument on whether it was better to drive down to Bushrasais or Mercina to take the EPAC. But Catherine was worried that Susco and her parents may decide to go home if they go to Mercina, so she forced them to drive 2 hours to Bushrasais instead. She insisted that her EPAC (or more correctly, Julien's) was better. She had borrowed it on the grounds that Goldie being a visitor from another Royal Family needed the best.

Susco's parents' reaction to the ride on the EPAC was as expected. They were shocked to see the sleek aircraft and its fancy interiors. Though they had never been on a flight before, they had seen images of them from friends and on holovision shows. They knew that if it actually belonged to the Crown Prince, it will be in a league of its own. However, ease and familiarity with which Susco boarded and used the facilities made them realise that she was used to it now.

Susco and Jarden sat next to one another. As they talked, he asked her how different was the EPAC she used to come home on weekends. Her reply shocked him and made him realise that she was on a completely different level now.

Goldie, interested in the new face, sat with Lilief, telling her about her parents, attendants, how no one had time for her, her mother being busy with her Royal Duties, about her home, her toys, how different the dolls from Cartier village were... Dawn, Cassida and Catherine sat on the forward seats discussing the plans for the Farmhand Estate, while Blanco sat at the rear, preferring to stay away from the important people.

Blanco had been forced to come along to Regis because Catherine felt his inputs were important and also that he needed to meet Dusk Hale for approving his move to Cartier Fruit Masters Inc. Though it ate into his family time, Blanco did not really mind as he was interested in being able to move to back a large city with his family. Rural life, however luxurious it may seem, to someone like Blanco, had reached its limit.

Since it was a long flight, Dawn asked the auto-bot to get them drinks and snacks. In spite of all of Dusk's attempts, she had effortlessly absorbed Catherine's lifestyle and its attendant luxuries. She was now very much used to the comforts, did not hesitate to use all available facilities. Spending a lot of time at Occulta Palace did not help either. She was used to good food, luxurious rooms, maids to help her do everything and an almost unlimited budget.

The cost of everything required in the Apartment was taken care of by Cindy who did not refuse any request from her, in spite of Dusks orders that she was not entitled to perks. Plus, Dusk gave her $1500 a week now, thinking that if she is in an expensive college, she would need to buy things and be able to buy food, etc. Dusk remembered how people looked down on her when she had joined Uni-Viva. And in giving her sister enough, Dusk erred on the wrong side.

Apart from what she had from Dusk, Lady Crystala often called Dawn over for accompanying her to social events, shopping, outings, and even of play dates... Lady Crystala was bored without the children and with Catherine moving to Ci'gazze, she had not one. When she went to meet some friends for tea or an evening meal, if the family had younger children, she would take Dawn with her and ask her to spend time with them.

At many minor social events, Dawn was her companion so she would not have to go alone. Dawn happily carried her bag, helped with the arrangements, coordinated with Imperial Security for Crystala during these social events and kept reminders of what she was to do there (like discuss a particular charity event with Duchess of Sandser).

Crystala also took Dawn along for musical performances or when she wanted to see some holo-novel show which would be boring alone. The excuse always was the same, that Dawn needed to be exposed to the culture that she missed in the formative years... But she actually wanted someone to discuss the story, performances, etc. And Dawn was always ready to run down and arrange for food and things she needed during the events.