Chapter 32: Catherine Negotiates

Lucas Walterson was not familiar with modern communication technology and did not know there were incognito wearable communicators that the younger Royals used. He thought Catherine disliked the bright slanting sun coming into her eyes and was therefore wearing dark glasses. As was Dusk...

"Tell me what you want. I will make it happen. We can't wait for years. Both of us will suffer. You will also lose business and money. I am sure you want to grow. If I clear that problem for your car sales, will you stop hating us?" He asked. He assumed Catherine being younger and more ambitious, apart from being his niece, as an easier negotiating partner. Dusk was disinterested in expanding to Romana, but Catherine could be persuaded. He had no idea she was getting help and being coached.

"Well, if you are going to do something for me, then perhaps I can persuade the board to do what you want for Mega-Distri." She stated quietly.

Walterson could see that he was going to be taken to the drycleaners by his niece. But he had little choice. The matter of the Farm Portal had been already discussed in the cabinet and it had been agreed that it was needed. Almost every minister had supported the idea of getting them over and had also understood that some concessions would be required.

"Well... then..." Catherine, who was pretty apt at acting, since she used it all the time to get her way, both with her bothers and with Dusk Hale (it did not work with her mother), now pretended to be reluctant as well as a little naïve.

Then she laid down her requirements, "I want all restrictions on BHRVC and all my companies removed with immediate effect. The regulations for us should not be worse than for a local company. In fact, our new technology should be favoured. We save power and give a better ride plus our vehicles are far safer. All 3 factors are good for the consumers.

"Further, I want Arco-Bravadia to be able to sell Commercial Planes and EPACs in your country. No restrictions, no licensing barriers. As long as Bravadia Air Control approves of a specific model, we should be able to sell it in Romana and people should be able to fly it immediately without restrictions."

Walterson nodded. He had little option in any case. He did not want to get a formal complaint from the Imperial Government of Bravadia on the Hover-Cars. He had no idea if anyone had also discriminated against the airplanes. While Julien had not bothered, Dusk Hale would not allow it and now Catherine would be egging her to take a formal stand. Dusk Hale's fight with Thousand Nations resulting in unprecedented settlement was now common knowledge, at least among the important members of the governments across Sol.

"Along with Mega-Distri, you will allow Cartier Fruit Masters Inc. to operate in your country on preferential treatment. Both companies must... get 5-year tax free status and after that, only local taxes." She continued. Only Dusk noticed her forehead was scrunched in concentration as she deciphered whatever instruction she was being given.

"And we will need $15 Billion in funding. They need to be 10-year zero coupon bonds. Being bonds means you get repayment only in 10th year, but we will pay interest quarterly. Oh wait... zero coupon means there is no interest... So I don't have to worry about how often I pay that.

"You can subscribe to it from the government, or you can get any bank to do it, does not matter to us. And we will have the option of routing the business through a local subsidiary, in which case the bonds will be from the local subsidiary with no co... parent corporate subsidy...

"Oops, I meant no parent company guarantee of the bonds and you cannot ask grandfather or Julien for a sovereign guarantee either."

Walterson had to agree. Even though he had no idea what half of the bond terms meant, but he did not see any scope of negotiations. The kid was very specific in what she wanted. The other things were trade related and he would order them done. He knew his finance minister will cry over the terms, but...