Trial and an End

Nick had never been to the Judicial Hall where Vlad and the other Vampiric heads decided on the fates of law-breaking vampires, rogue vampires, or other dangerous people
or creatures.

The room itself was large, fitting at least 200 people inside. It was round and looked like a courtroom most people see on TV shows. Instead of there being a raised desk for one person, normally the judge, the raised desk fit nine people behind it.

There were no tables that sat a defense attorney with a defendant. There was only an empty marble floor in front of the raised table, a small railing separating the area from the public sitting area. The railing was wrought iron and ornately twisted, until it formed a small swinging door to allow access onto the marble floor. In the very center of the floor was a metal loop the size of a fist, that looked worn and aged, but no less sturdy. 

Nick sat in the very back against the back wall by a pair of double doors, Riley next to him who was holding Andrei; the child slowly waking up from his nap. He was in a dark blue dinosaur onesie that had green floppy spikes on the back. The courtroom currently had 50 vampires sitting in the public area, the chairs made of a pale wood. They were not the most comfortable of chairs, Nick wishing he brought a pillow or something to sit on. The vampires were from nearby clans who had heard of Lord Laketon's crimes, wanting to see what happened at the trial themselves. It had been 100 years or so since a vampire had broken a law and was sentenced to death for their severe actions. Nick was sure vampires just liked to gossip like everyone else.

Nick watched as his mate and eight other clan heads started taking their seats at the raised bench. Vlad was in the very center seat, Nick only feeling pride swirl inside him.

Iosiph was next to Vlad, looking severe. The call from Mary about Mark getting wounded (and surviving because of Eric) made Iosiph one second away from lopping off Lord Laketon's head himself.

More vampires entered the room, everyone's voices overlapping each other.

Vlad was crisply organizing papers into a pile, his grayish eyes with tints of brown, catching Nick's eyes. Nick smiled, Vlad's eyes softening at his mate. Nick shyly looked away, resting his hand on his belly, wearing a puffy jacket that was an icy blue.

Vlad had immediately bought him the jacket the second Nick started to shiver, Vlad noticing there was a hole in one of the sleeves of Nick's old jacket.

Nick's heart remained in a constant sense of warmth and happiness, especially after the two weeks that had transpired up to this point.

Two Weeks Earlier

"Is this the place?" A tall, muscular man with mocha skin asked. He was in a whitish gray fur coat with a black military backpack.

"That's what the letter said," a man who had dark skin and black hair, partially hidden under a blue wool cap, said. He had a thick scarf and jacket on to match. 

"This place is pretty nice though, for a vampire villa or whatever," the man in the whitish gray fur coat said.

"We've been traveling forever!" A young boy said, who was about 16 years old or so. He was in a silver coat, the gauges in his ears the same color.

"Mansion is up ahead, you'll be fine," an older man said, dark skin with wrinkles and world weary dark eyes. He was leading the other three men through the villa as though he had lived there all his life.

"You volunteered to come anyway Cyrus," one of the men laughed, the sound closer to that of a sharp bark.

"I didn't think it would take so long! And I can't help my curiosity, Dion," Cyrus, the younger boy said, sticking out his tongue.