The Truth

"James this isn't funny, what's going on?" Riley asked, his voice raising a little.

"I would never hurt you Riley," James said softly before moving to the end of the bed to give Riley some breathing room. James finally let some of his desire for wanting to claim Riley come out, opening his eyes to reveal dark red eyes. Riley gasped and jumped off the bed and into the pile of books onto the floor.

"Th-This is a trick," Riley whispered as he looked James up and down.

"It's not love," James whispered before his canines lengthened seeing Riley cover his mouth from letting out a gasp.

"P-Please don't suck my blood," Riley's voice hitching.

Riley was absolutely terrified and it made everything inside James die and constrict from pain.

"I would never Riley. It's against my clan's laws to bite a human. But I also would never bite a human as a personal moral of mine. I use blood bags," James said softly, rubbing his hands together nervously.

"Riley," James said softly talking a step towards him before Riley scooted further away, curling into a ball. James shoulders sagged in defeat as he pushed a hand through his hair sniffing loudly.

"I-I should go. I understand. You won't see me anymore," James said quickly, hurrying to the door before he felt something grab his sleeve. He turned slowly to see Riley looking up at him nervously, but not with hatred which made him relax a little.

"D-Don't go.... u-um," Riley said nervously, letting go of James' sleeve,  sitting on the bed again.

"Riley?" James asked quietly as Riley quickly made eye contact before looking away.

"This is real. You aren't lying?" Riley asked, so unsure.

"No love, I'd never lie to you. I didn't want to lie to you anymore about what I really am. You mean the world to me Riley. Even though you are my mate, I wanted to fall in love with you. Not let biology control me. Most vampires will immediately claim their mate, but I wanted you to have a choice. I had been searching for my mate for so long that I decided if I ever found them, they could reject or accept me of their own free will. I know this is a lot to take in, so maybe it's better if I go."

"No!" Riley said loudly seeing James head for the door again who stopped abruptly. Riley was terrified that he would never see James again if he left.

"I-I mean... I believe you. It's kind of hard to believe but you've never hurt me. And... and I've fallen in love with you," Riley said.

"Oh Riley," James whispered trying not to let his hopes get too high.

Riley could feel his heart thumping but not out of fear as strange as that was. In fact, when Riley looked at James he didn't see a monster or someone scary, not even with those red eyes or fangs. He saw someone handsome and mysterious. Who loved him and would never hurt him.

"You said something about claiming? What's that?" Riley whispered, before patting the space next to him. James slowly sat down, not wanting to scare his mate, making sure not to touch him. Both seemed okay with this at the moment since it was super awkward right now.

"Well... a vampire knows who their mate is by the scent of their blood. All humans have a scent that calls to us like a hunger. But a mate's blood calls out to that vampire alone. No other vampires can smell it except their mate. Until a vampire bites their mate on the neck where the mating mark goes, they will have the urge to drink their mates blood, like an unquenching thirst. I hear that after the mate is claimed that the thirst and hunger is gone and all they see is just their mate again."