The Letter

It had been three months, James sitting at the kitchen table; a half eaten jar of baby food next to him. Specifically mushed carrots.

In a high chair in front of him, sat his overly giggly son who was more excited to swipe at the mush and entirely miss his mouth.

"And I knew right then and there that Riley was perfect for me," James sighed, his son slapping his hands into the carrot mush that landed on the high seat table; squealing in absolute glee. The baby's chubby cheeks were red, showing off a gummy smile at his papa. 

"I miss him, even now," James sighed, wiping the baby's chubby cheek.

"You are so dramatic James," Riley huffed out, walking into the kitchen. Little hands made grabby motions towards him. Riley huffed out a laugh, picking up his baby, patting his back, who let out a handsome belch.

"You get that from your papa you know," Riley laughed, rubbing his nose gently against his baby's nose.

"Proud of it too," James laughed, kissing the baby on his temple who was currently babbling at them.

"Don't follow after your Papa, Andrei. He's a bad, bad influence," Riley laughed, snuggling against his baby's soft black hair. It was too soon to tell whether the baby would look more like James or like Riley. He was born at seven pounds and six ounces with soft black tufts of hair and hazel eyes like Riley.

James gasped dramatically before softly kissing Riley several times on his pretty pink lips. Riley smiled between kisses. James whispering an 'I love you', Riley feeling his heart squeeze. Riley had later found out that he had passed out after giving birth because of exhaustion and because his body had overheated. James had been a panicked mess while holding their newborn in his arms.

"Do you want to see Dedushka* today and your uncles?" James asked Andrei, kissing his cheek. The baby babbled, before giving a wide yawn.

"I'll take that as a yes," James laughed, holding Riley around the waist as the two walked towards the garage since they had to drive a bit further away to the council chambers. They made sure their go-bag was with them, courteous of Eric; the bag covered in baby animals and stuffed to the brim with baby things.

"Are you sure James? I could stay here with the baby since we forgot his swaddle blanket last time and we had to go outside for a while so the meeting wasn't further disrupted," Riley said seriously, rubbing Andrei's back who was drooling and grumpily chewing on Riley's clothed shoulder.

"We have the swaddle blanket this time kotenka, so don't worry! Besides, all those old vamps didn't seem to mind the interruption," James smirked, Riley rolling his eyes. Andrei had been heavily cooed over since he was born, being absolutely adored.

Riley had been wanting to go to meetings because he wanted to understand the politics going on between clans. Eric had went to the last one but he wasn't going to this one because his morning sickness had been terribly bad. He had all the sympathy for his dad.

All Riley and James knew about this meeting was that it was a bit more important than usual, so Mark was torn between staying with Eric or going. Eric bullied him to go saying he'd probably be more productive at the meeting then fretting like a mother hen over him. Mark reluctantly left and was already there.

Riley tucked Andrei into his baby seat, the three driving away quickly to get to the meeting. The roads weren't terribly bad, since it was spring, coming on summer. A lot of the foliage was becoming green and the sky was an open, bright blue.

James reached over to grab Riley's hand, Riley looking over at him curiously.

"I love you Riley," James whispered. Riley felt tears at the back of his throat. James said it like it just was. Like it was always supposed to be like this. That they were always supposed to have met and live this life together. Riley whispered it just as softly back.