A Lost Art

This chapter is based souly on Mark and Eric's night :)

As the group walked into the palace it was truly a sight to behold.

Guards lined along stone pillars down a huge hallway covered with a very deep maroon rug over stone floors.

Riley waved cutely seeing John standing at attention at the doors to the ballroom. John smiled back waving to the group, Tomas patting him on the back and talked with him along with Mary.

James removed the heavy fur coat from around Riley who was practically glowing under the stunning low lights and starlight. The roof of the ballroom was made of glass. Twirling galaxies and bright planets millions of light years away was a sight to behold with no light pollution from nearby cities ruining the magnificent spectacle. The two heard many 'oohs' and gasps as there was fast gossip probably already spreading.

"Come on Riley let's go to the buffet table!" Nick laughed happily tugging Riley along since he knew Riley didn't do too hot in crowds. Vlad and James tried following them but years of being taught to greet and mingle with those under the main clan had always been engraved into their brains.

This was their chance to clarify any ungodly rumors or maybe start some.  The game is dangerous and a little fun.

"Mark, moy noch', Antone mentioned earlier about Blackbornes pretty much being royalty. I mean do you really think I should even be-" Eric began with Mark about to kiss him and claim him right there before a booming voice resounded through another hallway that also led to the ballroom.

Many clan members formed a pathway, with their heads bowed as a man who looked a little older than Mark and with a similar build came walking towards them.

"Mladshiy brat! Vy proizvoditel' problemy (little brother! You trouble maker)" Iosiph yelled happily, Mark rolling his eyes but his face was lit up in happiness.

"I'm glad you could make it. You've been giving me a heart attack for the last 200 years you know," Iosiph harumphed making Mark roll his eyes. You could very much see that they were brothers, their looks and their builds were slightly different, but both radiated power and strength.

"I know bolvan (dummy), and I know we don't see each other a lot right now but," Mark began seriously before being hugged by his brother.

Mark could hear Eric trying to giggle quietly knowing that if he was human he'd be blushing from his brother embarrassing him right now.

"Oh. And who are you?" Iosiph said in a heavy Russian accent, moving to Eric and completely blocking Mark from Eric's line of site. Eric looked up in shock at the tall man for a moment not sure what to do.

"Iosiph," Mark warned for a moment with his brother waving at him in a nonchalant manner.

"And a human at a vampire's ball," Iosiph said slowly, Eric feeling like he was shrinking by the second. Eric could feel a panic attack rising knowing this man could snap his fingers and have him killed in an instant. Eric didn't break eye contact with those blazing dark red eyes that almost seemed to be thrumming with dominance for him to submit; the gaze felt like it was burning through his skull. Suddenly there were onlookers whispering quickly in shock and Eric had no idea why.

Eric just looked confused at Iosiph not sure what he was doing before looking at Mark who was looking surprised at him. Eric wrung his hands nervously before shyly looking around, wanting to make a quick exit, before he was hugged tightly.

"What big doe eyes!" Iosiph gushed, onlookers letting out unsteady chuckles.

There was a growl and some tugging before Eric was molded into Mark's side. The two brothers exchanged a look that made Eric curious before a sweet voice called out.