Chapter 9 : Reality Checks

It was Shakti Singh Oberois's birthday, the Oberois were holding a small party at the party hall in their mansion. 

Omkara was greeting the guests who were joining the party when he spotted Anika's mother. "Hello aunty," he greeted touching her feet.

"Bless you, Om, please don't touch my feet and make me feel like I am eighty." Mrs. Talwar muttered placing a hand on his shoulder. 

Omkara smiled, "as you say, aunty," his smile wavered when Gauri entered and stood behind Mrs. Talwar. She was dressed in an elegant salmon-red dress that ended at her knees. Her straight hair was left open. She wasn looking everywhere but at him.

"Mumma!" Anika squealed hugging her mother. Omkara glanced at Anika.

"Anu!" Her mother kissed her cheek. The two didn't part. Omkara's gaze went back to Gauri whose lips now played a soft smile looking at the mother-daughter duo.

"Why are you late?" Anika inquired.

"Because of Chhoti, she was arguing with the cab driver!"

"Excuse me, Anika! This Mother India was chatting with the driver about traffic and how it contributes to global warming. His entire attention was on the conversation rather than the road and he drove at the speed of a snail. I seriously drive better."

Omkara's eyes wouldn't leave her. Her voice still got his heart to race, everything about her did. He quickly excused himself to greet other guests. Anika glanced at Gauri looking at him. "Hey, you okay?" She asked Gauri, giving her a quick hug.

"Now, I am. It was as though I was in a lecture class!" Gauri joked fixating her gaze on Anika. She felt him walk past her. He had changed so much. His body was well built, his hair was long. He felt more intimidating rather than approachable like he used to be. It was as though the existence of the man she dearly loved had been wiped away entirely from the face of the earth.

* * *

"Shivaay, is everything okay?" Omkara asked entering the terrace after the cake cutting was done and dinner had begun. He had received a text message from Shivaay to come up to the terrace immediately. His gaze froze as he saw Anika and Gauri present there too.

His gaze lingered on Gauri a little longer before he turned to Shivaay with a solemn expression.

"Your both should talk," Shivaay came straight to the point, as he glanced at Gauri. He had no clue how Omkara would face the truth. But he believed that Omkara should know what Gauri went through. He freaking lost a baby he didn't even know about.

"Shivaay," Omkara looked at him in the eye with a dead serious look.

"Jiju," Gauri spoke up knowing it would be futile to talk. It was clear from Omkara's expression that he didn't want this.

"Gauri please," Shivaay muttered glancing at her and then turned to Omkara, "you both need to talk. There are a lot of misunderstandings that are uncleared. You both need a closure. Talk." He glanced at Anika who nodded and moved towards the gate. "Just hear what she has to say," Shivaay mumbled softly while tapping Omkara's arm before following Anika's trail. He shut the door and sighed praying for Omkara. This would break him, scar him but then wasn't he already broken?

He looked up to find Anika's gaze on him. "Are you sure we are doing the right thing?" She asked in a feeble voice.

He nodded. Anika stared at the gate that opened into the terrace. "Come on, let's go," Shivaay spoke holding her hand.

"Shouldn't we wait here?" Anika asked anxiously.

"No. They will be fine,"

"But Shivaay, Gauri..."