Chapter 34 : Conflict

The wedding date was fixed to two weeks later. Gauri had excused herself to the washroom.Omkara made an excuse of a call when everybody else was busy planning about invitations and guest list. He peeped inside the guest room. He heard the flush from the washroom and decided to wait for Gauri. The two of them just couldn't talk with everyone around. 

"Hey!" He greeted her once she stepped out.

Gauri looked at him and then the shut door of the room. "All okay?" She asked anxiously.

"I am sorry, for Choti Maa acting a little off. She's just hurt by the idea of me moving out of here after the marriage. And so is Rudra. Please don't.."

Gauri sat beside him with a smile. "Since when do you have to be so formal to me?"

Omkara struggled to smile.

"Are you okay?"  She asked again.

"I don't know. Maybe I went to bold with my wish that Choti Maa perform all the rituals as the mother of the groom. It just came to my mind and I said it in the moment. I guess mom dad are awkward about that."

Gauri picked up his hand in hers and held it between her tiny palms. "I am glad you did what you did. Because, it was what you wanted."

"But Gauri did you see Rudra he was so upset, even dad was. I think they take it as disrespect towards mom."

"You can't please everybody, Omkara."

"I know, but...maybe I went too far."

"Okay, so go ahead and undo it." Gauri said with a sigh leaving his hand.

"No, Choti Maa deserves the respect. She was always there for me. I don't even know if I would be here of it wasn't for Choti Maa and Daadi."

Gauri could deeply relate to Omkara's emotion. "You know, so far everyday I have over thought everything. Now, I am doing what my heart wants to because I am tired with my mind's overthinking and doing nothing. Maybe you should do that to."

"Yeah," Omkara muttered. "You're right. Let's not over think. Let's just do what feels right."

"Am I asking for too much Omkara?" Gauri asked feeling a little guilty over her wish that Omkara move out after marriage.

"No, Gauri." He answered holding her hand.

"Are you sure, Omkara?"

"Gauri, I love you. And now that we are finally moving towards a new chapter in life, I don't want to overthink too. I want to ...be with you."

Gauri smiled, "let's go then?"

"Wait, there's one more thing. Are you okay with the wedding date?"

"Yes, it's fine with me. Although I am not sure about the beach wedding. I mean, that was what Anika wanted. And ... I don't want to hurt her in anyway. I mean, I don't want her to feel..."

"I get it." Omkara said. "Do you have an alternative in mind?"

"No." Gauri uttered.

"Gauri, you can tell me,"  Omkara said with a small smile, catching her evident hesitation.

"Nothing, I was just... never mind. I will tell you if there's anything."

Omkara wasn't convinced but he didn't show that and simply nodded walking out.

* * *

"Omkara, what was that behavior?" Tej questioned Omkara, that night after dinner when a silence fell in the house after the celebrations.