chapter 51: Dynamic Duets pt. 2

I know that it's exciting
running through the night,
but every perfect summer's
eating me alive until you're gone.
Better on my own.

~Lorde, Liability

When it was time for Ryder and Jake's performance, she didn't expect anything less than them using the song to fight over Marley instead of working together

When it was time for Ryder and Jake's performance, she didn't expect anything less than them using the song to fight over Marley instead of working together. She understood 16-year-old male behavior and it included not listening.

The pair performed the R.E.M version of "Superman" by The Clique, and while their voices complemented each other, they were basically brawling with each other through music. Violet just looked at them disappointedly throughout the entire performance especially when they started shoving each other to get Marley's attention.

And then Jake threw the first punch.

Marley quickly moved away as Ryder got back up, ready to fight him. Finn tried to tell the boys to stop, but they both had tunnel vision. Sugar's chants to keep fighting didn't help either.

Ryder then fully tackled Jake to the ground, and Violet looked at them with wide eyes and then to Finn to see if he'd actually break them up before it escalated even further, but he didn't.

When Jake finally tackled Ryder into a music stand, Violet decided that enough was enough. She looked at Sam and he automatically knew what she was thinking even if things were strange between them at the moment.

Sam put Ryder into a full nelson. Violet maneuvered Jake's arm so that he would be restrained, so if he tried something, she could easily counter him by twisting his arm. They all started to force the two teenage boys out of the room.

Violet looked at Sam and Finn who was slightly behind, "Put him in the auditorium. I'll be there in a few."

Once they left, Violet released Jake's arm harshly. "Ow!" Jake complained.

"You can't do that!" Violet yelled at him.

"He started it!" Jake retorted

"I don't care who started it! You threw the first punch! You can't do that. We're a team, Jake," Violet emphasized.

Jake shook his head, "I don't care if we're a team. He's a douche who doesn't deserve Marley!"

"Don't you think that that's how he sees you?" Jake stayed quiet which made Violet calm down and talk to him. "Go in there. Finn's gonna yell at you. Listen to him. Work with Ryder. And please, do not make it physical."

Jake grumbled and then made his way into the auditorium frustratedly just as Sam walked out. Violet didn't notice and just slid her back down against the lockers and sat on the ground with her head on her knees.

Sam walked to her and took a seat next to her. "Kids, am I right?" he joked, trying to get her to smile. Usually, he could make her laugh, but ever since last night, he didn't know if he could still.