chapter 92: What the World Needs Now pt. 2

You better lock your door
And look at me a little more
We both know I'm worth waitin' for (waitin' for)
That heavy breathin' on the floor (on the floor)
I'm yours, I'm yours (I'm yours)

~Billie Eilish, Billie Bossa Nova

content warning: explicit chapter (smut)

Later that night, it was finally time to have dinner with Skylar's family.

She felt like a ball of anxiety ready to burst at the seams, but when she was about to pull at her fingers, Sam grasped her hand and laced his fingers in hers.

"Buttercup, you don't have to hold my hand. I bet the tiramisu dish is too heavy to carry with one arm," she said guiltily.

He joked, "Are you underestimating my strength? Vi, these guns are fully locked and loaded. I can handle a little tiramisu."

Violet cracked a smile at his joke which diffused her nerves, "Alright, alright."

Before she reached to ring the doorbell, he stopped her, "If at any point you want to back out, just let me know. You don't have to stay strong and tough it out, okay? This is a big step, and I'm sure that if they really want you back in their lives, then they'll understand."

"Okay," she said in a small voice. "I love you. Thank you for doing this with me."

"Always, Vi. Always," Sam smiled before bringing up her hand to kiss it.

Violet then took that moment to ring the doorbell, and after a beat, the door revealed Skylar quickly ushering them into the house.

"Holy shit, it's cold outside."

"Language, Sky!" Violet heard her uncle Maxim yell from the other room.

Skylar rolled his eyes, and an unfamiliar man walked up to the small group. He yelled back, "Maxim, relax. Sky's about to graduate, and you're still worried about his words."

What seemed to be Violet's newest uncle greeted the couple, "Hi, I'm Michael. Maxim's husband, and this one's other dad. You must be Violet! I've heard a lot about you!"

Violet felt overwhelmed, and for some reason, couldn't get herself to speak. Luckily, Sam noticed before things got too awkward.

Sam stuck his hand out for the older man, "Hi, I'm Sam Evans. I'm Violet's boyfriend."

"Nice to meet you, Sam." Michael then turned to his son and whispered, "I thought they were married."

Maxim rolled his eyes as he walked up to the four, "Of course she isn't married yet. She's only 21."

"Hey, you never know. You married young," Michael retorted.

"And look how that turned out," Maxim joked before turning to his niece. "It's nice to get a good look at you, Violet. It's been a long time, hasn't it?"