chapter 83: Opening Night

All that other noise
is just a waste of time
You're the only music on my mind
I don't need money,
I don't need to be cool
I'd trade it for a moment
in the sun with you

~ Sunflower Beam, Moment in the Sun

Violet was quickly weaving through New York City's foot traffic because she was already running late as is, and it didn't help that she was getting a call

"Hello?" Violet asked frustratedly.

"Woah, there. Why are you so pissy?" Quinn chuckled.

Violet sighed, "I'm sorry. I'm just running late. You just kinda caught me at a bad time."

"It's okay. This is a quick call anyway. I just wanted to let you know that Puck and I can't come to Rachel's opening night," Quinn said sadly.

"Wait, what? How come?" Violet asked concerned.

"My professor sprung a short film project on us last minute, and it's a big part of my grade, so I can't flake on the rest of my group," she explained.

Vi asked, "What about Puck?"

"Air Force won't let him out of training to go to New York, even for a day."

Violet breathed out, "Damn. Rachel's already stressed as is too."

Quinn was sympathetic, "I really wish we could be there to support her, but we really can't get away."

"Rachel will get it," Violet reassured her. "It'll suck, but she'll get it."

"Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that Rachel's stressed. I mean, I get it because it's Broadway, but she always seemed like being on stage was her home. I always thought she'd be more excited than anything," Quinn mentioned.

"She wasn't stressed before, but I think it finally hit her when all of the news sites and the reviews came out, anticipating opening night. I feel like she wouldn't be this stressed if all eyes weren't on her and if this wasn't a revival of an iconic role. I felt the same anxiety when I was reviving Maria in West Side Story. It's not particularly fun, but it'll get better for her once she gets her feet wet."

Quinn questioned, "Well, maybe you can help Rachel. I mean, what? You went through that two years ago? I bet she'd appreciate some support from someone who gets it."

Violet laughed, "She actually wouldn't. I'd totally give her advice and support as a former Broadway thespian, but she doesn't want that. Rachel just wants me to be a regular friend right now like Kurt or Mercedes."

"Is Rachel still weirdly competing with you?"

Vi replied, "I mean, it's not just that. We kinda went through a thing a couple weeks ago where I admitted that I was always somewhat involved in her recent accomplishments like how I helped her get into NYADA and how I would've been Fanny instead of her if I didn't deny the role."