chapter 23: The Purple Piano Project

The summer was over, and it was time for school to start back up again. Mainly, it was time for the members of the McKinley High Glee Club to buckle down and try to win a National Championship after coming in twelfth place the previous school year. When they were all coming in for the first Glee Club rehearsal for the year, all of their trophies were gathered in the center of the room.

Tina was the first one to question this. "Mr. Schue, why are all of our trophies in the middle of the room?"

"I was sure that our Nationals trophy would grow during the summer," Brittany pouted.

Mr. Schue picked up the tiniest trophy, "I want this image burned into your mind. This is what the difference between first and 12th place looks like. It's also what it feels like."

Puck headed towards his seat, "Are you planning on bumming us out all year long?"

"No. I'm planning on pushing you harder than you've ever been pushed. We made it to Nationals last year. This year, I'm not going to let anything or anyone stop us from winning it all. I let you down last year. I lost focus, let some Broadway pipe dream get in the way."

Rachel piped up, "And we're really sorry that the guy who replaced you in April Rhodes' musical won the Tony. I mean, I can only imagine your regret."

"Yeah, you know what I regret? Being the laughing stock of the show choir world," Mercedes mentioned. Over the summer, the video of their Nationals performance was uploaded on YouTube, and lo and behold, Jesse St. James was right.

Artie added, "And that's saying something."

Kurt piggybacked off of that, "Mercedes has a point

Kurt piggybacked off of that, "Mercedes has a point. Finn and Rachel's 'The Kiss That Missed' already has 20,000 hits on YouTube, and the comments section is just full of pithy banter like 'Why is that T Rex eating the Jew?'"

"How many times do we have to apologize?" Finn said with a smile

"Yeah, no ore apologies." The couple had a great summer bonding. Unlike their last relationship, the first months of their relationship were not plagued with jealousy and fights. It was truly the perfect summer for them.

Mike interrupted the couple's moment, "The school hates us even more now."

Mr. Schue replied, "Which is why we have to work even harder this year to recruit new members. We're four men down!"

Santana retorted, "Yeah, only because Puckerman couldn't convince Zizes to stay."

"She's the one that got away... really, really slowly."

Tina asked, "Where's Quinn?"