chapter 79: New Directions pt. 1

Remember how we used to talk
About busting out,
we'd break their hearts
Together, forever
Never say goodbye
Never say goodbye
You and me and my old friends
Hoping it would never end

~Bon Jovi, Never Say Goodbye

"Violet, slow down," Sam tried to calm his girlfriend who was running around her kitchen like a chicken with its head cut off

She frantically replied, "Sam, I can't slow down. Your family's coming here any second and dinner needs to be perfect. Shit, where's my timer?"

Sam took her hand and brought it to her eye line, and she saw that the timer was already in her grasp. Sam looked at her concerned, "Vi, it's gonna be great no matter what. You know they'll get along."

"But how do we really know. I mean, maybe something catastrophic will happen and they won't get along. O-Or you know how your mom really doesn't like my mother? What if she questions why my dad didn't defend me for a while. Or what if my dad somehow is holding a secret grudge against you because of our breakup?"

Sam grasped her shoulders, "Okay, Vi. I need you to breathe with me."

As he helped guide her in breathing exercises, he reassured her, "Yes, my mom doesn't like yours, but she doesn't blame your dad especially since you two have a good relationship now. Your dad doesn't have a grudge against me, and I know this because he calls me to help check up on you. He trusts me."

Violet sighed, "It's just that... My dad just got in today and this is probably the last opportunity our parents will be able to meet in a long time and I just want it to go well. First impressions mean a lot, like, that girl Demi, the one that Seb's been interested in, told him how first impressions basically shape your entire idea of a person, and it'd take so much time and effort in order to reverse that first impression. Our parents can't do that if something goes wrong."

"And nothing will go wrong," Sam reassured her.

"You better not jinx it."

Sam playfully rolled his eyes, and knocked on the closest wooden surface, "See?"

Violet giggled and brought him into an embrace, "You really think things will go smoothly?"

"As long as Stevie and Stacy don't try to cause trouble, things will go smoothly. And if it doesn't, then... I'll try boxing with you and Blaine."

"Really?" Violet's eyes lit up. "I thought you didn't like the idea of fighting someone."

"I mean I don't, but I'm not gonna be wrong," Sam smirked.

Violet chuckled and just gave him a kiss. The couple then heard Violet's dad descend from the stairs. "What smells so good?" Robert Suzuki yelled from the staircase.