chapter 89: Jagged Little Tapestry pt. 2

I took the supermarket flowers
from the windowsill
I threw the day old tea from the cup
Packed up the photo album
Matthew had made
Memories of a life that's been loved
Took the get well soon cards
and stuffed animals
Poured the old ginger beer
down the sink

~Ed Sheeran, Supermarket Flowers

"You have cancer?!" Violet exclaimed when she stormed into the empty boy's locker room

"You have cancer?!" Violet exclaimed when she stormed into the empty boy's locker room. She was looking for Coach Beiste who was still in the locker room while Sam led warmups that morning.

"What?" Coach Beiste replied.

Frantically, Violet replied, "Sue. S-She told me that you had cancer because she knew that I have connections to really good doctors around the world because my grandpa had colon cancer, a-and before he died, we got opinions from a lot of people about his treatment. A-And I couldn't be there for him, but I'll be there for you, so if you need me to call– no, you know what? I'll make some calls right now–"

"I don't have cancer." Violet went silent. Coach Beiste continued, "I lied."

Violet shook her head and gaped, "You lied about cancer?"

"I had a good reason."

Violet furrowed her eyebrows, "I... How is there a good reason to lie about cancer?"

Coach Beiste tried to explain, "I was trying to get Sue off my back–"

"By lying about cancer?" Violet's eyes widened in disbelief.

"She heard that I was taking a lot of pills, and I guess someone told her that I was having more mood changes..." Coach Beiste's voice trailed.

Violet took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment, "I... Look, I trust you. I don't... I don't get why you'd lie about having cancer, but if you say that you have a good reason, then I'll trust you. As long as you don't have, like, a drug addiction or something... you don't have to tell me. That's something you should tell me about. You just... You can't lie about having cancer."

Coach Beiste let out a breath, "I'll tell Sue the truth, but you deserve to know the truth too."

Violet shook her head again, "It's alright. Cancer just kinda set me off..."

"No, what I'm trying to say is that I want to tell you this."

Violet looked at Coach Beiste concerned, "What is it?"

"Well, I- I wanted to talk to you because I think that you'd understand and accept me more than anyone here..."

"Oh, God. Do you have an addiction?" Vi widened her eyes.

Coach Beiste chuckled and shook her head, "No, no. I... What I'm going through is different."

"Okay..."