chapter 61: Guilty Pleasures

When I take a look at my life,
and all of my crimes,
you're the only thing
that I think I got right.
I'll never give you away
'cause I've already made that mistake.

~Lover Of Mine, 5 Seconds of Summer

Blaine didn't mean for this to happen

Blaine didn't mean for this to happen. He really didn't. He didn't want to fall into the trope of the gay guy having a crush on the straight best friend, but... it happened. I mean, in a way, it makes sense. The two were thrown closer as friends after Violet convinced Blaine to help Sam instead of her, and from there, their friendship bloomed.

Sam was there for Blaine and Blaine was there for Sam. They were Blam.

But Blaine also felt weird and guilty about the entire thing. He knew that despite Sam being with Brittany and Violet seemingly moving on that they were both still in love with each other which made it feel even worse when he realized that he had a crush on him. So he tried to suppress those feelings no matter how much Sam made him feel butterflies.

This didn't stop him from being observant though. He masked it as "trying to be a good friend," even though he didn't pay that close attention to any of his other friends. So that's how he noticed something peculiar about Sam.

Before school that Monday, Blaine walked up to the blonde boy and snuck him some money, "Here. Don't tell anyone, and you don't have to thank me."

"Dude, what are you doing?" Sam questioned with an awkward smile on his face.

"It's only 50 bucks. Just take the money," Blaine persisted. "I know what you've been up to and it just has to stop."

He whispered to him, "What are you talking about?"

"Last week, I found a shortcut between my locker and the parking lot– walking through the cafeteria cuts out 15 seconds from my daily routine– and yesterday, I saw something," Blaine told him as he referred to when he saw Sam stealing food from the cafeteria.

Blaine explained, "Listen, I know your dad's been struggling, and I just want to help especially since I know you won't ask Vi for help since that was a big point of contention in your relationship. I just want to help you feed your family. Hunger's a big problem in this country. Although, so is obesity, which is confusing."

Sam started to walk away from his friend to let him just spout off what he thought to be nonsense. But he cut off Blaine's rant once he kept following him, "Okay, can you promise to keep a secret?"

"Yeah, of course."

"I have been stealing pasta," Sam admitted. "But it's not for dinner. It's... it's art." He then led Blaine into the art room where he unveiled his masterpieces.

Sam looked at him expectantly, "So... what do you think?"

"Are those macaroni portraits?" Blaine walked closer to them to inspect the art further.