chapter 93: Transitioning pt. 1

I know I'm just a
Wrinkle in your new life
Staying friends
Would iron it out so nice
Guilty, guilty reaching out across the sea
That you put between you and me
But it's fake
And it's oh so unnecessary

~Taylor Swift, Closure

After a successful first-place Regionals showing over the weekend, Violet conferred with Sue, and they decided to give the Cheerios a day of rest for their record-high score

After a successful first-place Regionals showing over the weekend, Violet conferred with Sue, and they decided to give the Cheerios a day of rest for their record-high score. This meant that the football team got early use of the field, so Violet was alone.

But Sheldon Beiste was finally back, so Violet excitedly greeted her mentor.

"I'm so glad you're back! It feels like it's been a year since I last saw you!" Violet exclaimed, practically vibrating with excitement.

Sheldon rolled his eyes as he teased, "Were you always this overdramatic?"

Violet chuckled, "Yes, but I'm usually really good at hiding it. But I'm just too excited to keep it contained."

"Well, I'm happy to see you too, Vi," the man smiled fondly at his former student-turned-colleague.

"I also love the button-down. It's a nice change," Violet commented genuinely.

Sheldon looked at her with some insecurity, "Really? You don't think it's too jarring?"

"The button-down?" Sheldon then gave her a look, so the raven-haired girl answered his real question, "I think that you look good. The only thing that people will be thrown off by is the fact that you're no longer in athleisure."

He breathed a sigh of relief, "Good because I'm already nervous about people treatin' me different. I don't need people to gawk at me too."

She tilted her head in confusion, "I mean, surely our inner circle of people wouldn't treat you differently."

Sheldon chuckled at the girl's naivety, "I think you're the only one that'll be treatin' me like this has always been how I looked. I think you were more excited about me coming back than my new look."

"It's because your new look is really you!" Violet repeated before shaking her head. "I really don't think our people will make a big deal out of it."

"I want you to think about every single individual in our inner circle. Like really think about it, pumpkin."

The girl considered everyone and a look of realization and horror dawned upon her. And just as this realization hit, Sue and Sam walked up to the pair.

"Coach! Welcome back!" Sue exclaimed. "You know, from a distance, I almost mistook you for an aging, yet virile, James Garner."

Sheldon gave Violet a knowing look before shaking Sue's hand, "Oh, thanks, Sue. It's good to be back."