chapter 72: Movin' Out

Oh, it's such a long
and awful lonely fall
Down from this pedestal
that you keep putting me on
What if I fall on my face?
What if I make a mistake?
If it's okay, a little grace would be appreciated

~Paramore, Idle Worship

"I'll just be a call away–"

Marley shook her head as she walked to the choir room with Violet, "Vi, I'll be fine. I'm... trying to move on. I just feel so stupid. Everyone told me he was trouble, and I thought he'd change. I thought he did change."

Vi furrowed her eyebrows, "You're not stupid for thinking that Jake changed."

"You're only saying that because you're still friends with him. Honestly, I thought you'd take his side on this," Marley mentioned.

"I'm Switzerland. I'm a neutral party as shitty as that is. He shouldn't have cheated on you, but I also want to help him."

She scoffed, "That's assuming that he can change."

Violet sighed, but didn't say anything further. Marley was hurting and didn't need to hear Violet's spiel about how people can change. As much as everyone lost faith in Jake right now –including himself– Violet still believed in him which is why she was so nervous to leave this week.

The two girls walked into the choir room where the New Directions were all congregated around the piano. Blaine was talking about his NYADA audition. They joined in and all of the New Directions waited for Mr. Schue to come in, so the trio could say their goodbyes for the week.

Violet stood next to Sam, and they hid the fact that they were holding hands underneath of the piano as Mr. Schue walked in, frustrated.

"Hey guys. In spite of the complete lack of representation at the Career Fair, I know that a lot of you are thinking about a career in the arts. Well, it's no secret that Sue Sylvester doesn't believe that an artistic career is a very practical idea. And, for once, I have to admit she's right. It's completely impractical."

The New Directions all looked to Violet who was the only one who had "made it" in terms of everyone they knew.

Violet put her hands up, "Hey don't look at me. I actually agree with Schue on this one. You guys need to know what you're getting into. The only reason I made it was because of nepotism. I've seen people be that 1 in a million and then screw it up or they've even done everything right and they still get fired or they don't get a job at all."

Mr. Schue nodded, "Exactly. There's zero job security and its impossible odds. But... I've always believed that you have to pursue what you love, and that's why this week's assignment is about a goofy-looking kid who struggled for years in the music business."