Viva la Vida pt 2 //spot conlon

A/N: Starts angsty, ends (kinda) fluffy. Because I don't have enough Spot ones in here 😂. And... I don't know how I feel about the ending. Also, 7.7K reads?? And 591 votes?? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Spot stood in his small garret room, leaning against a wall. The lights were off. His arms were crossed. He was alone. Just like he wanted to be. He was planning on it, on being alone forever now. Friends, he could have. Maybe more of acquaintances. Allies, perhaps. But nobody close. No love, no relationship. Everyone he loved had left. So, no more. He didn't know if his heart could take any more leaving. The piece that remained, with chunks missing-- one taken by his ma. One by his father. And one by you. 

He never considered ending it. How could he? He needed to be there for his boys. None of the others were ready, even his so-called-second. He had a family. A sweetheart. Spot knew now that love could not help a good ruler. No strings attached was necessary.

So Spot stood, in the dim light coming from the single candle near his bedside, and tried to banish all feelings. No love. No attachment. No regret. 

So he stood, and he had almost succeeded. When a quiet knock came on the door. Spot knew that knock. Knew it well. He didn't move. Just looked at the door. Watched it. Heard the voice; 

"Spot?"

He didn't say anything. Just watched, as the door slowly opened. The lock opened by the key around your neck, the key he'd given you, the key you apparently still had. 

He saw you standing there, your posture straight and steady as usual. Even though your hair was messed, and your eyes red in the corners, you still looked straight at him. He scanned you up and down. Slowly. His piercing blue eyes flickering over your head. Your eyes. The red mark on your cheek, in the shape of a handprint. His fists involuntarily tightened. He didn't care you had gone, didn't care you had left him, all he could think was who had done this to you?

"Spot?" You spoke again, quietly. 

"Who did this?" He said softly, crossing the room and tilting your cheek up gently. The candlelight casting shadows over your face. 

"Calico." You said, closing your eyes briefly as you said the leader of Queens' name. "But that doesn't matter, Spot, are you alright?"

"Alright? You of all people should know, I am not alright." Spot chuckled darkly, taking a step back from you. Remembering why he wasn't, in fact, alright. "Why? Why, Y/N? Why did you leave, why didn't you tell me, why did you go to him?"

"I didn't, I couldn't, and I didn't." You said softly, 

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't leave you, not on purpose. I couldn't tell you, because I was kidnapped. And I didn't go to him, I was brought to him. Because he wanted to get at you." 

Spot stands a little apart from you still. Trying to figure out what to do. He wants to believe you. Wants to let you back into his heart, his life. But he doesn't know if he could take any more if you weren't serious. If you left again. He doesn't know if he could hold himself together if that happened. 

"And I got away, but not after this." You touched your cheek softly, and as you raised your hand Spot could see bruises on your arms as well. That was all he needed, to step forwards, to you, and wrap you in his arms. Comforting you and himself. Feeling your heart beating with his. 

You stood like that for a while, before eventually pulling back the smallest amount. 

"I found this. In an alley." You said softly, holding out a hand. In your palm rested a heavy iron key, strung with a cord. 

Spot bent his head and you slipped the key around his neck. Tucking it under his popped collar gently. It slipped to the side a little, as you did so, resting over his heart instead of right in the middle. And the biggest piece of his heart, that you had in your possession, clicked back into place.