Rescue //spot conlon

A/N: Requested by FameWorksQuicker (I absolutely LOVE this idea) 

As always, "Don't like? I'll rewrite!" (I just came up with this and it makes me giggle for some reason)

Y/N: Your Name (duh) 

Flossy: Your Newsie Nickname

Enjoyy <3

"Pretzel's in the refuge, I'm going after him." Spot Conlon burst into the room, startling the groups of boys and girls who were lounging about, playing cards, talking, and in the case of one couple, kissing. 

Spot was immediately swarmed with questions, and he waved them all aside, marching over and grabbing dry clothes. You noticed, now, after the startling effect of his announcement, that he was soaking wet and clad only in his underclothes. Realizing he must have come from the docks, you averted your eyes slightly as he pulled off his wet tank top and slid on dry clothes. No need to give him any reason to tease you if he thought you were watching him change, even in a time like this.

"What happened?" You said over the hubbub, and the room went quiet. 

"He tried to steal a pie from a vendor with the bulls standin' right there. And it ain't his first time, too. He's locked up for sure, so I'm goin' to post bail." Spot grabbed the can of spare money that the older newsies all contributed to for cases exactly like these, counting out the required amount.

"Ain't you heard?" Clouds, an older girl said quietly, sitting down heavily. "They's changed the rules. Only parents can post bail now." 

The room erupted again. "It ain't fair, Spot!" One of the younger boys cried. "So long's they get their money what's it got to do with who pays it?" 

"It's targeted at us, nitwit." An older, taller, girl grumbled. "Snyder's been lookin' for a way to crack down on us for weeks now, since he got outa jail after the strike." 

"I'll say I'm his dad then." Spot said, switching his shirt for a more respectable one. 

"You?" You couldn't help the scoff that left your lips. "You're barely tall enough to reach the desk to post bail in the first place." 

Spot glared at you, his blue eyes narrowing. "What, and you think you'd be better at it, doll? You're even shorter'n me." He said, the remark about his height stinging more than he'd like to admit. Even with his recent growth spurt, he wasn't considered 'tall'. 

"I'm also a girl." You pointed out smugly, ignoring the pet name, as had become nearly routine at this point. "And not short for a girl, thank you very much."

"So? You wanna go get him, love?" Spot challenged. 

"Maybe I will, darlin'." You said with a lift of your chin, ready to reply with another retort when one of the younger girls opened her mouth.

"Hey! You'se two should just be married an' go an' get him together!" 

The horrified looks that crept over your faces in unison did little to hide the rosy pink hue that threatened to do the same. 

"Poppy, I don't think-" You started, when some of the others cut you off. 

"Hey, now, it could work." 

"They ain't expectin' that!" 

"No way anyone'd think it'd be the two of you, not together. Even them scabbers know how much y'all hate eachutha!"