Capture the Flag //racetrack higgins

A/N: Bookg1rl I promise I will get yours out today/tomorrow but this was stuck in my head and I couldn't focus on yours, super sorry. But that's coming soon. Modern AU

Capture the Flag was a simple game. Sometimes boringly so. Which was what led you to your current predicament. Some genius *cough*Race*cough* had decided it would be better in the dark. Which was what led you to be standing on one side of a field at 8 o'clock on a rapidly darkening summer night, your friend Sarah next to you. Facing you was Jack, Sarah's boyfriend and another of your good friends, and Race.  

Race... where to begin with him? You were friends, yes, but to a certain degree. There was always some sort of awkwardness between the two of you. You never fully understood why. Sometimes you wondered if you ever would have hung out without the rest of your friend group to act as a glue; for example, tonight. 

"I thought there would be more people here?" You whispered to Sarah. 

"Uh, nobody else could come." She said quickly. Too quickly...

You shook your head to get rid of the suspicion. Why would she lie about that?

"Before we start..." Jack said, fiddling with the green glow bracelet on his wrist. "Whaddaya say we make this more exciting?"

"What do you propose?" You called, keeping a watchful eye on the other green band that signified Race. You wouldn't put it past him to try to sneak and reach the glowing orb of your flag while Jack distracted the two of you.

"Like a bet?" Race, of course. His voice was coming from the same direction as the band. Good. He hadn't tried to sneak past.

"If you're tagged you have to kiss whoever tagged you. On the lips." Jack said. The idiot. He knew Sarah was faster then him. 

"Deal." Sarah called back before you could have a chance to object. The two lovebirds counted down from 5, before shouting, "Go!"

"You go steal the flag, I'll guard ours." Sarah whispered in your ear. 

You pursed your lips. "Why don't you go?"

Sarah shook her head, a movement barely visible in the darkness, before shoving you across the glowing side divider. You barely had time to catch yourself before a glowing green band was headed your direction. Curse Sarah and her kiss-loving mouth. You tried to feint around, but the band was fast. And now you were too deep into enemy territory to retreat.

You sprinted for the flag in one last-ditch effort, but a hand closed around the glowing blue bracelet you wore on your wrist. It wasn't Jack; you could hear his obviously fake groan at being caught behind you, followed by a kissy sort of noise, which left only Race.

"From the way I understand it, you owe me a little something now?" Race said. 

Yep. Race. With a sigh you turned to face him. You could see the outline of his head in the darkness. Maybe you could kiss him quickly before grabbing the flag and hightailing it out of there while he was distracted. Yeah. Distracted. Why would he be distracted after you kissed him, self?  It's not like he likes you... and it's not like you like him. Right?

Still, it was the only thing you could think of, and you *had* to kiss him, so with a quick sigh you angled your face towards his and went for it. Your aim was nearly dead-on. Your lips landed half on his and half off. Close enough, You thought, before starting to pull back. But you couldn't; there was a hand behind your head, another on your waist and-- the most startling part-- Race was kissing you back. You forgot the rules, you forgot the game, you forgot how the boy sometimes annoyed you and gave you butterflies and how you never quite clicked the same way as with your friends- because you clicked like this. You kissed Race back, your head tilting and your lips sliding to be right over his.

The moment seemed to stretch on forever. And then it was ruined, by Jack's excited voice- "See, I told you we could do it! I told you we could get them together!"

"You. Just. Ruined. It." Sarah said sternly, and suddenly it all clicked. Why it was just the 4 of you. Why Jack had really implemented that extra rule... although that partially could have been because he wanted to kiss Sarah too.

Race was silent (unusually) and then he was gone. You blinked in surprise and saw his bobbing bracelet sprinting straight for your flag. Without a second thought you ran after him, but misjudged the actual distance and ended up tackling him flat, with you on top. He rolled over so that he was facing upwards, towards you.

"From the way I understand it..." You said, parroting his words. "You owe me a little something now." 

Race smirked as you bent your face towards him, but as your lips were about to connect again...

"WE WIN!" Sarah shrieked. 

"Wait-- what--" Jack said, looking around him. "Well NOW who's ruining it, huh?" He said after seeing Sarah, the green orb held triumphantly above her head.

"Meh. Winning is more important, right Y/N?"