Together //spot conlon

It was early in the day when Spot Conlon knocked on your door. You had been expecting him, so with a kiss on the cheek to your mother and a promise to be back by dusk you left in a whirl of a certain blue dress that just so happened to be Spot's favorite, the suspendered newsie's arm linked with yours.

No matter how much pestering you did, he refused to tell you where you were going, laughing away your mock threats and promising only that you would enjoy it. And so it continued all throughout the long walk. Until you crossed the narrow strip of land leading to Coney Island and walked through the gates of Sea Lion Park. Spot proudly bought the entry tickets, handing one to you with a smile. He had saved for this for a long time, and it was all worth it to see the look on your face. 

Spot brought you first to the Water Chute, which you got into with much coaxing. You had heard many things about it, but the idea of the ride still made you slightly apprehensive. It wasn't long after the drop of the boat began that you loved it though. That you got to clutch Spot's hand tightly was an added bonus. When the ride was over, Spot pulled you along to the small stand that was set up nearby, from which emanated a delicious aroma. Spot ordered a funnel cake for the two of you, which came dusted in sugar, part of which was melting already into the golden-brown dough.

The next stop was the Flip Flap Railway. Or, it was supposed to be. Once Spot got a good look at it, it was the last stop he ever wanted to take-- and the last stop he ever thought he'd take. Now your roles were reversed, and it was only by the promise that he could pick the next activity that you managed to get him on. The small smirk he had on his face as he accepted your promise did nothing to stop you. 

The entire rollercoaster ride Spot was quiet. While the others around you screamed and laughed, he only clutched the bar in front of you with one hand and yours with his other in a tight grip that made your fingers feel like they would fall off. As soon as the ride had come to a stop he was off of it, off of it and standing a good twenty feet away, vowing to never step foot near it again. 

You smiled slightly as you rejoined Spot in a more collected fashion, taking your time as you got your feet onto solid ground. Perhaps a little faster than taking your time, but still nothing compared to the speed in which Spot dismounted. 

As soon as you reached him, Spot wrapped his arms around you, leaning his head on your shoulder. Whispering how he wasn't sure he could trust you anymore. You laughed softly, and were about to say more before he placed a soft kiss on your lips, pulling away from you and taking your hand again. Leading you towards a grand building. 

You protested slightly, thinking about the repercussions after you saw the 'No Entry' sign on the door. But Spot merely smirked and led you around the side and through an open window into a large flat room with polished wooden floors and wallpaper on the walls. 

There, you danced. There was no music, but you didn't need any. There was no crowd of swirling people, but you liked it better that way. Only you and Spot, your heartbeats and your footsteps, your boot-clad feet, so unlike the fancy dress shoes of those who would usually use the ballroom. Your plain blue dress and Spot's faded red suspenders coupled with the bright, fresh wallpaper. But neither of you cared about that now. Swept up in the music you could hear in your minds, the rhythms of the steps and the dips and the twirls. You danced for what felt like forever. And you never wanted to stop.

But all good things must come to an end; when the sound of a key in the lock of the front door was heard, the murmuring of voices from the doors outside, your dance stopped abruptly, the two of you exiting the same way you arrived. Smiles were on your faces as you left the park together. 

Spot walked you to your door as a light drizzle began to fall. Under the awning, where no one could see, you kissed softly, gently. And then he left with a grin and a wave, and a promise to see you tomorrow.