Mistletoe //spot conlon

A/N: Some of y'all may have seen that announcement I did a while back about that imagine/blurb thing. I decided to make it a oneshot, so... enjoy ig (it's a little short but ya)

"Heya, Y/N." Your friend Race grinned as you slid into an open chair around the small card table, nodding hellos to the other newsies sitting there.

"Glad ya could make it." Race added, expertly cutting the deck and shuffling the cards together.

"Yeah." You said, looking around at the sparse decorations. "Me too. I'se never been to a Christmas party before."

"Oh?" Race said, shooting a conspiratorial glance at the other boys. "Well then, I reckon you'se neva hoid of mistletoe?"

You shook your head slowly. "No, what is it?"

Race grinned. "It's a plant. Come Christmas it's used foa decorations an' such." He pointed to a sprig nailed above a doorway. 

"So?" You shrugged.

"Well..." Race bluffed. "The thing 'bout mistletoe is dat if there's two people standin' underneath it, they gotta fight each otha. An' look who's standin' underneath it now." Race pointed. Underneath the doorway, directly under the mistletoe, stood Spot Conlon. 

You frowned slightly, the name mistletoe seeming vaguely familiar but the meaning escaping you. "Really? You gotta fight each otha?"

"Yeah." Race said, trying to calm his bouncing knee.

You had been around him enough and played poker enough times with him to know that his jiggling knee was his tell. But why would he be lying about something like that? 'Specially when he knew your slight resentment towards Spot Conlon, a resentment that definitely wasn't hampered at all by the slight crush you had on him. The crush that, as far as you knew, was unrequited. The resentment that was started by the fact that he had beaten you in a fight once; the only person to have done so. Not only that, he had done it easily, with that cane of his and that cocky smirk. You had asked for a rematch, but he had declined, and continued to decline each time you asked. And you asked quite frequently, given the number of times you were both in Manhattan. But if it was the rules of the mistletoe, as Race said, he couldn't decline, right? And you had gotten a lot better since you fought him. 

"Well?" Race looked expectantly at you.

"Be right back." You decided, standing up. And completely missing the grins and silent laughter of the boys behind you as you walked into their trap. 

"Hey." You marched up to Spot, tapping him on the shoulder and waiting until he wrapped up his conversation with Jack. Spot turned to you, the smirk on his face.

"Can't stay away, can ya doll?" 

You brushed away his comment and the nickname tacked onto the end. "You know how this works?" You said, gesturing above his head at the plant nailed to the doorframe.

Spot raised an eyebrow. "'Course I do."

"Then let's do this." You replied.

Spot's smirk widened. "Sure." He said. And without further ado Spot Conlon grabbed you around the waist, pulling you closer to him, and crashed his lips onto yours. 

You were taken completely by surprise. Instinctively you kissed him back, practically melting into the kiss as you received what you didn't even know you wanted. 

And now that it was here, you wanted it very, very badly. 

As was evidenced by the way your hands tangled in his hair and the way your body practically molded to his. And he felt the same way, as was shown by how he kissed you. 

It felt like you two kissed forever, and could go on even longer... until a few wolf whistles and jeers interrupted you. Spot pulled back with a slightly dazed, very pleased expression on his face as he looked at you. Which was quickly wiped and transformed into a scowl as he looked at the other boys.

"You're welcome Spot!" Race yelled. 

Your mouth fell open as you figured out what happened. "I'se gonna kill him."

"An' I'll help." Spot said. As he spoke you became aware that you were still right next to each other, and you retracted your hands from his hair hastily, taking a step backwards. Spot stuffed his hands into his pockets and looked down.

"I, uh, think I can handle it." You mumbled, stepping towards Race, who let out a squeal and bolted from the room.

"Y/N?" Spot asked as you headed after Race. "When, uh, when you'se finished... can we talk?"

A/N: Thoughts? pt 2? Requests? Just let me know! :)