Symphony // skittery whatever-his-second-name-is

A/N: Requested by jaredkleinmemeeeee ! Hope you enjoy! :) (it's a teeny bit short sorry)

They say during your first kiss, you hear violins. 

Skittery had been hearing violins long before you came along. A simple melody, always playing in his head. Slow and soft at times, like when rain was pounding on the lodging house roof and he was in bed attempting to sleep. Quick and exhilarating, whenever he was running from the cops or from Snyder. Or... when he saw you. 

When he saw you, his mouth went dry. His heartbeat quickened and his mind raced. And the violins were joined by flutes and cellos and clarinets and basses and trumpets, all swirling perfectly together. 

Suddenly the violins became obsolete, even boring. The thought, the memory of the symphony instead filled his head, waiting until he saw you again to burst into full force, brighter, clearer than any memory could be. 

He knew after the first few days of being around you, your hair, laugh, smile, eyes, everything-- he wanted to hear it forever. The swell of the flutes when you would giggle, the movements of your hands when you sold seeming to conduct the mental orchestra. 

The instruments only seemed to grow in number and complexity as time went on. Through the months that you were dating, each kiss, hug, heck, even smile built the music up more. Refrains sounded, trills commenced, and he knew as they grew the time was coming. 

Nothing was perfect, and neither were you. But he would swear until the sun went out that you were the closest you could be. 

He knew he could never go back to the duet of violins. The simple way things used to be, the soft and gentle melody, had become a symphony, a symphony of song. 

And with luck he wouldn't have to. The ring was made, a simple silver band with a treble and a bass clef engraved inside. With planning and thought, he decided on a place and time. 

And he asked you there, in the small balcony of Medda's theatre, his hat in one hand and the ring in the other. 

He asked you, and you said yes. (duH)

And the minuet of the symphony was finished. And so began the sonata.