Nervous //spot conlon

A/N: Requested by @MelMunson07 . Hope you enjoy!

Spot chewed nervously on his bottom lip. He hadn't been nervous when he'd asked Jack earlier. He'd known he could handle Jack, known that if worst came to worst and Jack had replied with a firm rebuttal, he would go ahead and ask you anyway. After all, your opinion on the matter was the most important. But he would have greatly preferred a nice, big, public wedding, as opposed to a secret eloping. That was, of course, if you had said yes. He did ask Jack first, as a courtesy. Especially since he was the only family you had left now. 

Jack had side eyed him, hard, for a  long minute. Sarah was there, watching Jack with a raised eyebrow. Purposefully adjusting her hands so that the light glinted off of the wedding ring she wore on her left ring finger. Cutting off Jack's protest of "too young" as he remembered the age that they were when he proposed to her. So with a small grunt and a shake of the head, Jack conceded. 

But now was the scary part. He had to ask you, now, if you would be his-- and if you would accept him as yours.

He slipped his hand in his pocket, holding the ring tightly. It was a simple silver band with a carefully inset stone. He had scrimped and saved to have it polished and touched up at a jeweler's store, and then nearly had the bulls called on him when the shopkeeper became suspicious as to how he had acquired it. He hadn't stolen it. He hadn't stolen anything in a long time. It had been his mothers-- it was the only thing he had left of her. It had sat in a box under his bed for years. He had never sold it, never would, even if he was starving. Even if it was his only option, he never wanted it to leave his side. 

But now he was going to give it away, to you, and that was the only way he would want to part with it. To see it on your finger, to have you with him forever- it was all that he wanted. But first you had to say yes. 

He waited for you, on the Manhattan side of the bridge, breathlessly scanning each passerby as the sun dipped lower on the horizon. You were scheduled to meet him at sunset-- and there you were. That little smile on your face that he loved so much, the confident way you carried yourself onto the bridge and right up to him. The way you tilted your head, smiling a little wider as you leaned in and pressed a small kiss to his cheek. The gesture brought a wide smile to his own face as he offered you his arm. His smile only widening as you took it. 

"You're being uncharacteristically smiley today." You remarked softly as the two of you started across the bridge, a small grin on your face as you looked at him. 

"Oh. Sorry." Spot shook his head slightly, replacing his smile with a little smirk. "How's this?" 

"I like when you smile. This is pretty hot too though." 

Spot couldn't help another grin at your words, which caused you to let out a soft laugh. You rested your other hand on his bicep lightly as you walked, and Spot stood a little taller as he pulled you towards the railing of the bridge, directly in the middle and facing out over the East River, towards the sunset. You smiled a little as you let go of his arm, leaning onto the railing and sticking your head over, letting out a yell and laughing a little at the echo. Spot licked his lips nervously as he watched you. You were so perfect, and he didn't want to ruin what you had. Maybe you didn't love him that much. You had said you did, and he had said it back-- of course-- but he wasn't sure if you did enough to marry him. Maybe it was more like friendship love. Or even dating love. But what if it wasn't marriage love? 

"Screw it." He mumbled softly to himself, dropping down onto one knee. Spot Conlon was the King of Brooklyn. He didn't get nervous. He repeated this to himself like a mantra as he pulled the ring from his pocket carefully. He had no box to hold it in, so he held it gently between his fingers, facing up towards you. You were completely unaware, craning your neck to see a few swallows that you suspected were nesting underneath the bridge in a crevice. A couple passerby stopped, seeing him on one knee-- mostly old ladies that looked to be on their way to bridge-- and whispering excitedly to each other. 

Spot waited patiently for you to realize he wasn't standing right next to you like he usually was when the two of you walked along the bridge. As he did so he began to grow steadily more nervous-- had his carefully combed hair been messed up? Was his shirt buttoned too low? Were you going to say yes?

And then you turned, no longer feeling him next to you. A hand flying to your mouth as you saw him there. 

"Y/N M/N Kelly." Spot took a deep breath, looking up at you. "It ain't been too long that we'se been datin' each other, but I'se loved ya pretty much since the second I laid eyes on ya. I love your smile, an' your eyes, an' your hair. I love every li'l thing about you. I love how ya ain't afraid ta tell anyone to get lost- an' I thank my lucky stars ev'ry day that ya didn't tell that to me. An' now I have a question ta ask you-- Y/N will you marry me?" 

You felt like you were about to burst into happy tears. Nodding up and down quickly, you managed to say "Yes-- yes, of course I'll marry you." 

Spot broke into a beaming smile, brighter than the gas streetlamps that were beginning to be lit around you as you held out your hand and he slid the ring onto your finger. Standing up and pulling you to him, capturing your lips in a soft sweet kiss. 

"I love you Y/N." He mumbled softly against your lips. Oblivious to the old ladies clapping furiously behind you. 

"I love you too, Spot." You replied, smiling happily into the kiss. Feeling as if your heart was about to burst. 

After a few more seconds, Spot broke the kiss reluctantly. Not wanting to be reported for public indecency right after he proposed. You smiled, your eyes shining, up at him, and he flashed you another wide grin. Starting to pull you in the direction of Brooklyn, where he could take you somewhere safer for kissing-- it was getting dark after all. 

"Guess what N/N." Spot said as he walked with you, his thumb occasionally brushing against the ring as he held your hand, which caused his smile to widen each time, "You'se really gonna be my Queen now."