Chapter 13

A few hours later they were in FP's car, driving to the airport. She didn't manage to look through the clothes he bought for her. She just picked some jeans and a shirt before they left. Alice stuffed the rest in her bag and she planned on looking through them when they arrived at her house.

They were boarding the plane and one of the flight attendants noticed Alice's ankle bracelet. It looked much more like an ankle monitor than a bracelet and FP caught her glance as she stared at it. "Gotta keep her close somehow." FP joked and Alice glared at him.

"He's joking and I'm not fleeing the country. We're just having some kinky fun." Alice whispered the second to last word. She didn't want the flight attendant to look frightened at her and think she was a fugitive or kidnapped, even though she wasn't far from that. "I'm sure you can understand."

"I do." The woman nodded and slightly pulled down her scarf to reveal a collar, thing that kind of surprised Alice and made FP smile.

"Lucky partner you have." FP told her as they were going towards their seats.

"She is." The woman told FP before leaving them into the privacy of their seats. Alice was near the window and FP near the aisle.

"Are you nervous?" FP knew she hadn't been home in five years and he assumed it wasn't going to be easy on her.

"About?" Alice asked without looking at him. She was incredibly nervous, she wasn't even sure what to expect.

"Going home." FP said looking at Alice. In those moments he couldn't help, but think that even at her worst she was beautiful and she wasn't trying to kill him like so many people in her situation would've.

"How's your dad? I didn't get to say goodbye before we left." Alice asked FP. She knew it would annoy him and she loved that in those moments because if FP was annoyed he was most likely to stop asking her about how she was feeling.

"Can you not talk about him? He and Mom are already fighting." FP said and Alice rolled her eyes. "What?"

"She went to a spa on their wedding anniversary. If I hadn't fucked him then someone else would've." Alice pointed out and FP couldn't help but cringe at the way they were talking about his father, it was weird.

"At least it wouldn't have been my girlfriend." FP told her and Alice's eyes slightly widened, that's when FP realised what he said.

"Your girlfriend?" Alice asked not knowing if she had to be angry at him for calling her that or happy.

"Whatever." FP shrugged his shoulders and despite him confessing his weird and questionable love to Alice she started thinking that he wasn't actually sharing his feelings. It was just a fortunate thing that happened when he told her how he felt for her. And slowly it looked like FP was hiding his feelings.

"Yeah, whatever." The only reason Alice agreed with leaving things that way was because her head was pounding. The thought of going home after so many years frightened her.

For the rest of the flight they didn't say a word to each other. At some point Alice started regretting that because she was haunted by her thoughts and it drove her to all sorts of conclusions as to what could've happened as they went on.

It was when the taxi stopped in front of her house and they were left there with their bags that Alice finally spoke. "I don't wanna go in." Alice said as she slightly shook her head. "The books are upstairs, there are fifteen that I-"

"You can't just not go in there Alice." FP said and turned a little, looking away from the house and directly at Alice. "It's time."

"What happened to my parents' bodies? What about Regina?" Alice asked and it seemed as if she was changing the subject, but she had needed to know those answers for long and was to scared to ask.

"They were cremated, like all the others there." FP said and Alice held back tears as she nodded. "Their ashes are in small urns."

"At the organisation?" Alice asked and FP shook his head. He put his backpack onto the ground and pulled out of it the two small black urns. "You brought them?" Her voice was barely audible, but FP managed to figure out what she asked.

"I just thought I should." FP told her and she thanked him before taking the urns in her hands. He was surprising her, with some things he said and did he was genuinely kind and thoughtful, but with others he was the biggest asshole ever.

"Thank you." Alice whispered. She held so tightly into those little things as if her parents were in there still alive.

"Come on, let's go inside." FP took all of their bags, which weren't too many and he walked inside. The door was unlocked, but the good thing was that Ellen had cast a spell around the house ever since they moved there, so no person with bad intentions could enter when no one was home.

Then they walked inside. He looked directly at Alice after seeing the mess of a fight around. "They fought back." Alice concluded. "When your parents took them, they fought back, only if they had won."