Chapter 32

When they arrived at the airport a limo was waiting for them. Daphne looked at Alice. "Jones? You two?"

"Him, but yes, that's for us apparently." Alice said and she turned her head to look at FP. But before she could tell him anything FP grabbed Daphne's luggage and walked towards the car.

"Do you want help with yours?" Daphne pointed at Alice's luggages. She had a bag on her shoulder and a suitcase next to her.

"Just the suitcase please." Alice let Daphne drag the suitcase behind her towards the car and FP waited there for them. He put everything in the trunk then he was handed the keys to the car.

"Thank you." He told the man who had just given him the keys. FP got in the car and waited for Alice and Daphne to do the same. He expected Alice to sit in the front, but she went in the back with Daphne and he felt a bit sorry about it.

On the way to the house FP rented Alice spoke to Daphne a lot. Trying to get to know her better and despite her shyness and everything Daphne was a good girl and honest. Alice enjoyed talking to her and she knew how to talk to her since she was specialised as a therapist in teenagers and adults.

When they arrived at the house FP took the bags Daphne had to her room and he brought Alice's inside. "Can we talk now?" Alice asked after FP brought inside the last things they had in the car.

"There's nothing to talk-"

"You know what, there is. And I have been trying to give you the time to open up like a good friend, girlfriend, therapist or whatever, but you don't seem to be heading that way. So tell me what's going on." Alice said firmly. She had been a sweetheart to him when it came to his problems and it ended that day. She needed to know what his problems were in order to help him feel better.

"Will it change anything?" FP asked Alice and she nodded. "What will it change?"

"I don't know, tell me about your problems first and I'll let you know afterwards." Alice sat down on the couch. The house had a living room, two bedrooms, a kitchen and a bathroom. FP thought it was enough for them, he'd sleep on the sofa if he had to.

"When I was sixteen and turned for the first time, that's when I hurt Doug." FP didn't sit down. He hadn't talked about it ever since it happened. "I don't know if that's the root of my behaviour or if that's all."

"That's why you want to be human." Alice whispered under her breath and FP nodded. "But it wasn't your-"

"You weren't there! I turned and I hurt him so badly that now he's tied to machines." FP wiped away the one tear that rolled down his cheek. "It was my fault. He didn't get to live his life because I ruined it."

"FP, you didn't know." Alice stood up and she reached for his hand, but FP took a step back. "You were a child."

"No, the moment I put Doug in hospital I became a murderer." FP said firmly and Alice shook her head. "I did and you know it."

"Then what am I?" Alice asked with tears filling her eyes. But she blinked a few times to make them go away. It was FP's moment, it was his turn to let it all out and she was far from getting him there. "Huh? I mean I killed maybe hundreds of people, two of whom were my parents. You made a mistake, that's true, but you couldn't control yourself, you can now."

"Can I?" FP asked Alice, daring her to go against him, but she remained silent, waiting for him to say something. "I haven't turned around someone ever since that night."

"You can do it, I know you can and I'll prove it to you." Alice said as she smiled. "Next time you turn I'll-"

"No!" FP cut her off. There was no way he'd let Alice be around him when he turned. "Don't you think depriving Doug of his life is enough for me? His parents passed away two years ago and it's up to me to decide whether he stays on machines or not. His parents told me to let him go when I'm ready. I'll never be ready. So don't do this to me, don't make me have to mourn your loss too."

"Can we talk later too?" Alice asked FP. She noticed that he didn't want to talk anymore by the look on his face and she wasn't sure she could say something that wouldn't upset or annoy him so she figured that waiting a little was the best idea.

"Do you hate me?" FP asked her, the words left his mouth before he could stop them. He hated himself, he hated the way he talked to her sometimes, he hated what he did to Doug, he hated so many things about him he was blind to the good ones.

"No." Alice shook her head, FP needed reassurance and she was going to give him that. "No matter what I say, I will always love you FP. I may be mad, I may yell, but I love you."

"Thank you." It was obvious by the way his body relaxed that he felt a little bit better. "I love you too."