Florence,Italy

Florence, capital of Italy’s Tuscany region, is home to many masterpieces of Renaissance art and architecture. One of its most iconic sights is the Duomo, a cathedral with a terracotta-tiled dome engineered by Brunelleschi and a bell tower by Giotto. The Galleria dell'Accademia displays Michelangelo’s “David” sculpture. The Uffizi Gallery exhibits Botticelli’s “The Birth of Venus” and da Vinci’s “Annunciation.”

|Florence Italy Quick Facts|

Florence is the capital city of the Tuscany Region of Italy.

The population of the city was estimated at just over 379,000 in 2014.

Florence has a humid subtropical climate experiencing hot and humid summers and cool damp winters.

Florence is located 174 miles (280 km) north of Rome.

The city's total area is 39.54 square miles (102.4 square kilometers).

Interesting Facts about Florence Italy

There are numerous theories on how Florence got its name. One theory is that it originated with the ancient Roman festival Floralia which celebrated springtime. Another theory is that it is derived from the Etruscan phrase "Florence Birent" which translates to "land between the waters"; Florence is near several rivers.

Florence Italy is often referred to as the "cradle of the Renaissance". It was home to the great Renaissance artists Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael; as well as the home to the great astronomer Galileo.

One of the most famous tourist attractions in the city is its domed cathedral, Santa Maria del Fiore (The Duomo). Completed in 1436 it remains the world's largest dome constructed of brick and mortar in the world.

Perhaps the most famous sculpture of all time, Michelangelo's David, is located in Florence; at the Accademia Gallery.

The Uffizi Gallery, located in Florence, is one of the greatest art museums in the world. Among its many treasures are works by Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

Built over the Arno River in Florence is a famous attraction, the Ponte Vecchio Bridge (also called Old Bridge). This medieval stone bridge is known for the shops that are built on top of it.

In 1982 the Historic Center of Florence was designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Florence is regarded as one of the fashion capitals of the world.

The famous explorer Amerigo Vespucci, who America is named after, was born in Florence in 1454.

|Florence Italy History Facts|

Florence was originally a Roman city founded by Julius Caesar in 59 BC. He established Florence as a settlement for veteran Roman soldiers.

For most of the time between 1434 and 1737 Florence was ruled by members of the Medici family. This wealthy family helped inspire the Italian Renaissance and several members became popes.

For centuries, from the 14th century through the 16th century, this city was one of the wealthiest cities in the world; playing a key role in finance and world trade.

Florence was severely damaged during World War 2; this included the German army blowing up all its bridges, except Ponte Vecchio, in 1944.

From 1865 to 1871 the city was the capital of the recently established Kingdom of Italy.

In 1966 the Arno River flooded killing 101 people and destroying numerous works of art in Florence.

Information and Facts comes from Google