Dysfunctional You

Author's note: Yeah, Casey's having some inner monologue. Had to do it.

Music for this chapter: Dysfunctional You by Shinedown

****

Suicide, suicide, one two three
Maybe these drugs are addicted to me
Can you hear me in there?
Is there anyone there?
Keep your dyslexia next to your imaginary friends
They all talk shit about the shape I'm in
Yeah they really don't care
They're breathing rarified air

I don't want to celebrate my birthday this year. Not after breaking up with Jalen and losing my sister.

Today I'm out running errands. My birthday is in two days but I have a gallery show tomorrow in Jersey that I'm preparing for. I went to meet with a friend back in Delanco to pick up a few things and then I had to rush to the Apple Store in Marlton for something. I'm pulling out of The Promenade At Sagemore to get back on Route 73 when my phone rings.

I look at the display on my radio which shows who's calling and I'm so excited because it's my bestie from London!

I think my day has gotten much better! Rob's in town! 

Thank God for Bluetooth, right? Since I'm in New Jersey, it's the only way you can drive and talk on the phone. I hit the button on the steering wheel to answer.

"Hey."

So pack your bags and leave a note
And thank the ones that kept you afloat
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh oh-oh-oh
And gather all your hopes and dreams
They can keep you company
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

"Well, I'm looking at the calendar and I see someone has a birthday coming up."

Why does he have to mention that?

"Rob, I'm not celebrating my birthday," I tell him.

"Yes, you are. I'm going to make sure your birthday is epic. Look, I know your sister did some great things for your birthday and I hope I can do that but we're going to celebrate your birthday, Casey. I'm going to plan something that will make this a birthday to remember."

And go on and be your dysfunctional self
Life's too short to play someone else
'Cause being normal is just a trap
But you're never so gone that you can't turn back
So go and be unpredictable
Shatter the glass when it's half full
The audience has waited all this time
You're well-rehearsed and you know your lines
So introduce them to
The wonderful dysfunctional you

"Sure you are and I have swampland in New Jersey for sale. I'll let you in on a nice patch of it near Browns Mills for cheap." 

"Casey, trust me...it's going to be great. Trust me. Also, why would I want swampland? I don't think I could do anything with it."

It's a figure of speech, Pattinson!

I have to laugh. "You English boys crack me up," I tease. "I don't know about my birthday but I do know that the gallery show is tomorrow night. You better be there."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world. I just got to Philly this morning so I'm gearing up for it. Gotta support one of the best photographers I've ever worked with."

"Okay, you can stop the ass kissing right now. God knows I have enough there for it but you can stop it."

"Casey, I wish you wouldn't beat yourself up like that. You're not fat, love."