Secrets Revealed

Multi-POV chapter

Music for this chapter:

If You Only Knew by Shinedown

*********

Casey's POV

We're driving back after going to Long Island and I pull into a service plaza on the turnpike for gas and coffee. We of course get the gas first since we're in New Jersey which as we all know is the state where no one pumps their own gas (well, NJ and Oregon). We then make our way to the main part of the plaza where we get a cup of coffee. We don't really say much at that point but what can we say. We just buried a friend.

We get back on the road and I suggest getting a bite. We're at the Trenton exit and I knew of a really great dinner on Route 1 so we went there. 

"I'm still trying to figure out what Jacob meant by that little thing about how close we are," I say over dinner.

"I dunno, Case. "Maybe he knows something we don't." 

We get back to my place and I'm lying in bed looking up at the ceiling. I can't sleep. I get up and I walk out to the back yard with my vape and phone in my hand. I look and see an email from Katie that she sent me days before she passed which said it all. 

I take a slow drag of my vape and then look up to heaven. "Thanks, Katie, for everything," I whisper. 

I head back into the house and I'm walking past the guest room when I poke my head inside to find Rob sound asleep. I manage to slip in without waking him and I lean over to give him a kiss next to his ear and whisper. "I know your secret and I feel the same way."

Rob's POV

I have some business to take care of in LA but instead of driving straight to the airport after a close to hour and a half drive from Long Island, I crash at Casey's. We watch a couple of movies and have a few laughs. I always loved moments like this with Casey because it was always when she was the happiest and I really do think on some level, she really does have a thing for me.

 I have yet to tell Casey that the kiss on Christmas night was to me, something more. I want to tell her so badly because I'm at the stage where I can't hide my feelings. Two years ago I developed a crush on Casey but this time around, it's clear...I'm in love with her.

I know if I don't tell her, I run the risk of losing her but I'm also afraid to tell her. I'm afraid to tell her because what if she says she doesn't love me? What if she says she would rather be friends? I would be devastated.