Birds

Music for this chapter; Birds by Imagine Dragons

📷📸📷📸

The next morning, I get up and go through my normal routines. I then go and send Rob a text: 

I get in the car and drive the short distance to my parents' when I see a bunch of police cars and an ambulance in front of the house

I get in the car and drive the short distance to my parents' when I see a bunch of police cars and an ambulance in front of the house. The ambulance would leave without anyone in it but the police cars were still there. 

I get out of the car and try to get to the house but an officer stops me. "I'm the daughter of the people who live here," I tell the cop. 

"Miss, we're limiting the number of people."

"What's going on?"

"I can't say," he tells me. 

I stand near the car when Jake who is their neighbor comes over to me. "Casey, it's your sister," he tells me. I would then see my dad walking out like he saw a ghost followed by my mother who Jake's wife Bianca helps out and to their porch. 

My mom tells me the news...Cheyanne was found dead. 

"No...it can't be," I say to her. 

"I'm afraid so," she tells me. "Your dad and I were trying to wake her up for work and we couldn't. He called 911 and I went to get Jake. We were able to turn her over but it was too late. Her face was discolored and we just knew." 

"This can't be happening," I say as I run off crying hysterically. Bianca rushes after me. "It's okay," she tells me. 

"She was fine when I left to go do a job in Canada," I tell Bianca. "I feel like God just punished me because of my line of work and she supported it. I don't know if my mom told you but I have been doing photography for Dior and I'm also branching out as a filmmaker. I was told by a guy at my church that my line of work promotes sin because the models can cause people to stumble due to their beauty." 

"That's not true," Bianca tells me. "Also, I saw your work and it's very nice. God gave you that talent and you are using it, that's what He wants."

I sit in the car in tears and against my better judgement, I watch them haul my sister out in a body bag. I press my head up against the steering wheel and cry. I then look at my phone and the photo of me and Rob with Cheyanne. I know I have to tell him because in our friendship and our working together, he also became friends with her and my family. He's going to be so devastated but he's got to know.

I unlock my phone and send a text.