𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓|𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐔𝐒

MARA WILLIAMS

Hermione left and at once he began to drag me down the hall. Harsh fingers digging into my wrist, not quite hard enough to draw blood, but by far enough to leave bruises.
I was used to bruises, I even found them beautiful in some sick way, like beaten flowers trodden into the earth, their colour ebbing and fading with time as they died.
-But not this, this was not beautiful, there was a hatred in this hold, hinting at the love lost between us. I still felt the ache of his absence in my chest every second of everyday, but I hid it, just as I hoped he hid his own.
I hoped this was all just a facade, that he didn't really hate me, for if I ever were to lose him, I would surely lose myself.

But I couldn't help the anger that boiled inside of me like fire, scorching my lungs with the malice he gave and dared to call it love, except he didn't, because the very word itself was enough to terrify him.

"Get off of me!" I yanked my wrist free, causing a pain to pierce my chest even if it was just a farce, even his touch made my skin crawl now. I couldn't help but wonder if those same hands had once shook my fathers. "I'm not a fucking dog Malfoy, I can walk by myself!"

In an instant he was on me, just like ever man I'd ever known. "Don't you dare call me that, ever!"
He was so desperate to prove that he was nothing like his father that somehow he was no different. He was just like them, pushing his face close to mine, palms flexing with rage, barely resisting the urge to strike as he spat. "God you're so fucking stupid!"

What little resolve I'd once felt crumbled between my fingers like dust and my legs grew weak, struggling to keep myself from falling to his knees and begging for mercy. I'd known rage like this before, I'd felt every vile word and breaking bone of it. I knew what came next, the answer was the same single time. This was the anger that came with hurt, shattered dreams and sleepless nights.

"...What have I ever done to you?" My voice was small, shaking like a frightened bird unable to fly, "...What have I ever done to make you hate me so much?"

"Fuck Mara-," He turned his back on me with a hiss, shoulders heaving with the weight of breath and I blanched back with a cry that was muffled by my palms as he threw his fist into the stone wall, showing me in ash and dust and hate, "-Why are you doing this to me!"

I shook my head in disbelief, I would not let him place the blame for our undoing solely on me. "Why are you so hellbent on your own self destruction!"

"You think I fucking wanted to be like this!" He let out a humourless laugh, one so dark it would make angels cry. "-You think I had a fucking choice? I am not your enemy Mara, I never was!"

"There is always a choice..." I said quietly, unable to meet his eye as he stalked closer. There was no softness left in his eyes, no solace from his bitter facade. This was not the boy I once knew, this was not the boy I loved. This was a monster.

"Do you even hear yourself?" He sneered, and braced myself for the strike, eyes pressed tightly shut and face drawn away, but it never came.

"What have you done to us?" My voice was nothing more than a whisper, any louder and my heart would tear in two. "We were good, we were better than good, why couldn't that just be enough for you..."

"Don't you dare act like you're innocent in all this" His lip curled upwards in a cruel snarl, revealing a flash of pale white that made my stomach churn in angst. "Mara you're as much a traitor as I am! Do you even realise the damage you've caused!"

Something inside me snapped. I was done, so beyond done. Done with the lies. Done with tiptoeing around him like a wild dog, "I'm a traitor?" I couldn't help the hollow laugh as I said incredulously. "Your entire fucking family are Death Eaters!"

"Last time I checked so are yours!" The moment the words left his lips I could see the regret in his eyes.
-But it was too late. The damage was already done. My heart had already shattered, the fragments had already fallen before his feet. The sob had already left my lips. The tears had already begun to fall.

Loving Draco Malfoy was suicide, and yet I'd loaded the gun myself, I'd even willingly pressed the barrel to my head, all he had to do was pull the trigger.
-And he did, every damn time. I'd given up hoping for a different ending. This was the end of us.

"Mara I didn't mean it. I'm so sorry..." He pleaded, but I was already gone. "Please come back..."

• • •

BLAISE ZABINI

It was nearing midnight when Malfoy finally returned to the common room, with bloodied fists and insomniac eyes. Pansy sat up at once, the two of us had stayed awake, awaiting his return.

"Where were you? You weren't at dinner?" I said with a frown as he slumped down besides Pansy, who looked just as worried as I felt.

When he didn't answer Pansy pulled out a small napkin from the pocket of her robes, "Are you hungry Draco, I saved you a few tarts just incase..."

"No." His chest still rose and fell as if he'd been running, straining with the agony of a thousand lies untold as slowly he turned to her, with a glimmer of hellish intent in his eyes. "Do you love me Pansy?"

She did. Completely and utterly. She was entirely, irrevocably in love with him, she always had been. I could see it in her eyes. I could see it in the way her face turned red with unguarded heat and words struggled to leave her lips. "-I...I..."

"What are you playing at Malfoy?" I hissed to take the attention away from the poor girl who now looked close to tears, her eyes shining with unrequited love.

Malfoy cocked his head, a devilish smirk tugging at the corners of his lips as he wound a strand of Pansy's raven hair around his finger. "What's the matter Zabini? It's just a bit of fun, we all know she's completely and utterly obsessed with me... Isn't that right Parkinson?"
A sob broke from Pansy's lips, tears crawling down her cheeks that screamed all the words she would never dare say to him, how could he be so damn cruel?
"I mean, you're more than welcome to share her with me..." He shot me a wink, "I bet you'd like that wouldn't you Parkinson..."

My fist slammed down upon the wooden table that separated us. "Enough! You know exactly what you're doing!"
It was almost like he took pleasure in our pain, we were supposed to be his friends, we cared for him when no one else did, saw the light in him, even when there was none. And this was our reward.
"You're such a fucking dick Malfoy, no wonder Mara can hardly even stand to look at you anymore, God knows I can't!"

In an instant he leaped to his feet and was on top of me, his fist around my throat, pinning me to the back of the chair. "Don't you fucking dare bring Mara into this!"

"Why?" I managed to hiss through gritted teeth. "-Because you know I'm right? -Because you realise you let your pride ruin things between the two of you?"

His grip lessened. And though he remained hard, I saw the weakness behind his eyes. He was just a boy. Just as broken as the rest of us. "It's not too late you know..." I said quietly. "It's never too late..."

***
QOTD-What do you think of Pansy? Wont lie, I genuinely think she's probably my favourite character...
Don't forget to join our discord server if you haven't already! Link in my bio!
-TFOA