𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄|𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐒&𝐒𝐈𝐍

MARA WILLIAMS

Despite everything he'd ever led me to believe, Draco Malfoy did in fact have a heart. I knew it for certain as I lay there, the sun soaking us in it's blissful warmth, my head on his chest, listening to the steady rhythmic beats. Certain and strong as the tide.

Bronze baked clouds hung idly over the shadowless grounds like tufts of golden smoke. We'd been awake for hours now, and yet not a word had been said. We didn't need them, instead we watched the sun rise in silence, simply enjoying each others company.

Draco had never been soft in his life, forced into millitant regime since he could walk, speech soured by bitter tongues since he could talk. He'd never once been allowed to just... Be. -Until this moment.

He did have a kindness about him, deep down. He'd just never had a time to show it until now. I wondered if he felt just as peaceful as I did in this moment, the pad of his thumb swiping absentmindedly back and fourth across my shoulder.

This was the only place in this wicked world that we could be together, alone. But it didn't feel lonely with him beside me, I'd never once wished for a different company.

I'd never much believed in praying, I'd never really believed in a God, but as we stared out at the horizon, cast tangerine in a heavenly light, I prayed that we could stay in this moment forever.

• • •

A wicked rumble growled in my stomach as I dragged a brush through thick dark hair. I was far too hungry to change from my nightgown, so instead I found my way down the marble stairs with the scandalous whisper of the portraits echoing behind me, following the sweet scent of sustenance.

I refastened the silk robe around my waist as I entered the kitchen, huge and lux beyond believe just like everything else in this house.
Quietly I perched on the island counter, behind Draco who had yet to notice me as he was far too busy making breakfast.

"-Mara." His entire body became rigid when he finally turned to see me sat there, eyes clinging hungrily to my long legs that swung absentmindedly off the edge of the counter. "I didn't hear you come in..."

He dragged his palm over his handsome face, leaving a trail of white flower in its wake and I giggled, causing him to frown. "What?"

"-Nice face." I smirked and his face instantly returned to its usual smirking nature, a wolffish grin toying at the corners of his lips.

"Why don't you sit on it."

I nearly choked, which evoked a laugh from Draco.
-An actual laugh. A rich booming sound that caught me off guard, strong enough to shake the house, sonorous enough to make even angels cry.

It took a solid minute to compose myself after his lewd comment, and even after that I couldn't quite seem to quell the heat that pooled in my core at his opposition.

"I didn't know you cooked..." I said, trying to change the topic to something a little more satire.

"That's because you don't really know me at all." Draco's grin dampened to a small smile as he tended to the food. "...You just like to think you do."

My heart hurt to think that, but I soon realised he wasn't wrong. I'd stayed in his house, slept in his arms, tasted his lips... And yet, I realised that the boy I had felt so irrevocably tender for was still practically a stranger. "Well I'd like to..." I said quietly, staring as the muscles in his broad shoulders shifted through his shirt with every move he made.

"Then ask away."

"What's your favourite colour?"

"Green."