𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄|𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐊𝐄

MARA WILLIAMS

"Welcome children!" The odd woman said with a dramatic wave of her hands, "...In this room, together, we shall explore the unparalleled art of divination!" She stepped closer, raising her hands higher into the air. "...In this room you shall discover untold secrets about your past, your present and maybe for a lucky few even you're future."

I shot a sidewards glance at Hermione who seemed just as disbelieving as I was and we exchanged a brief smirk as the eccentric woman continued, "Today we will be focusing on Tesseomancy, the art of reading tea leaves."

"What a load of bollocks." I said under my breath but Parvati wasn't listening, she was staring entirely transfixed at Professor Trelawney, hanging desperately off her every word as though it were a matter of life and death.

"So would you please take the cup of the person opposite you." She said right as she walked into her cart of spare cups, sending a few clattering to the hardwood. "...Oh deary me."

"Looks like she didn't see that one coming..." Mumbled Hermione and I couldn't help but laugh, I couldn't believe that people actually thought this kind of rubbish was real, and clearly Hermione didn't either.
She was the smartest person I knew, and if it was good enough for her, it was good enough for me.

"Isn't she wonderful..." Parvati whispered dreamily, and I looked around to see who she was talking about, but she only stared dead ahead at the Professor.

"Who?"

She sighed as she took my cup, "Trelawney of course, she's just such a talent, one day I hope I can be just like her."

Right. Forgot she wanted to be one of those aurorauologists or whatever it was, probably something equally meaningless.

Begrudgingly I took Hermione's cup as she took Parvati's, staring down into the muddy brown leaves. "Says here you're going to experience great turmoil, and you've got a sightless eye which means..." I flicked between the pages of the book to find what I was looking for. "...You're also going to suffer."

Hermione raised her eyebrows at me. "Charming."
She stared down at the small porcelain cup in her hands and simply mumbled, "Resurgence."

"Oh my god..." Parvati gasped, which caught all of our attention, including Professor Trelawney as she came scurrying over.

"What is it child," She asked, adjusting her thick rimmed spectacles and leaning in so close to Parvati that there was hardly any space between them. "What do you see?"

"I see... A heartbreak, a great loss of some sort..." Fine lines wrinkled her forehead as she frowned, "...So much fear, so much darkness... A-And the return of something you once lost..."

Trelawney made made Hermione and I jump when she clapped her hands together in glee, "Well done Parvati, simply terrific job! Here, let me take that."

No sooner had Trelawney taken the cup from Parvati's shaking hands had it smashed against the floor, sharp shards of porcelain flying in every direction.

The entire class looked up, and the Professor's eyes were wide and frightful but she wasn't looking at the mess she'd made... She was staring directly at me.