𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓|𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌

MARA WILLIAMS

The absence of warmth in the bed besides me announced the dawning of another morning, Christmas morning to be exact, and Draco was nowhere to be seen.
I dressed quickly in one of Malfoy's oversized Slytherin sweaters and some black joggers before wondering down the hall, still wiping sleep from my eyes as I pulled my wild hair into a rough bun.

If the portraits had seemed to leer at me before, it was nothing compared to the looks I received now. I shot a wink at the familiar face of Druella Rosier as I passed, and if looks could kill I would've been able to taste the earth.

Every inch of the manor practically dripped with candescent fairy lights, and I slid my fingers along the marble banisters that were threaded with elegant wreathes as I descended the stairs in search of that devilish boy. The scent of pine and cinnamon and dried orange lingered in the air, enveloping my senses in its comforting embrace.

It didn't take me long to find Draco, he stood before hearth of the roaring fire with his back facing me. He had never once seemed small, in fact his large frame practically dwarfed my own, so it was strange to see him so seemingly insignificant next to the mountain of a Christmas tree that towered above us, the underneath practically overflowing with presents of every colour, shape and size.

"Merry Christmas, Mara." He grinned the moment he saw me, wrapping me tightly in his thick arms and placing a kiss on my forehead. Here I felt safe. Here I felt wanted. "Are you ready to open your presents?

I smiled with a nod as we settled on the floor beside the fire, and I absentmindedly tangled my fingers in the plush rug as he searched under the tree before pulling out a small package with an envelope attached and handing it to me, "This ones for you."

I muttered a thanks before tearing it open. Inside was a pair of thick woollen socks the colour of quill ink and raven feathers, as well as a note from Parvati that read...

Mara, I hope life's not too terrible for you living with Malfoy, though I highly doubt it. I bet you've been having a rather rough time.

And then she'd drawn a winking smiley face that caused a grin to cross my lips. If I were you I'd probably take full advantage of the opportunity, if you know what I mean...

I rolled my eyes with a chuckle, little did she know...

I can't wait to see you again next week and get out of this damn house! There's nothing to eat besides green stuff and leaves, I've had enough.
What's more Padma's driving me absolutely bloody mental, for some reason she's decided she's suddenly got the fattest crush ever on Terry Boot, despite the fact that he looks like the incestuous love child of Vincent Crabbe and a hairy little hobgoblin and she won't shut up about him.
Please write back ASAP if you know of any decent tongue binding spells, or even a hex will do at this point, I'm losing the will to live here!

-Send help and snacks, Parvati.

"Who's that from?' Draco asked as he tore the wrapping off of a strange glass ball filled with pale smoke which he shook hurriedly with a frown. "Parvati," I answered, "-And what the hell is that?"

"It's a Remembrall." He grunted as he tossed it to the side, "My Grandmother sends me one every year... She should save the bloody things for herself."

Next he handed me a thicker, square package, covered in brown wrapping paper and tied neatly with string. It smelled like old books and fresh parchment, everything that distinctly indicated the presence of Hermione Granger.

Inside was a red knitted jumper and a book. The jumper was the thick and clunky and entirely lovable, obviously hand made, I wondered if Hermione had made it herself. On the front was a giant gold M. At once I pulled off Malfoy's sweater and changed into Hermione's as I flicked through the pages of the book, Hogwarts a History, before scouring her note.