𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑|𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄 𝐌𝐄

MARA WILLIAMS

Stars glinted against the hollow abyss, a thousand secrets strewn across the sky each with a story untold. They cried out to me to reach up and grab them, to pull them from their bed of black and many times I'd tried without yield. "You're late."

I stared up at him through the thick mist that cloaked the ground. "You never specified a time."

He shrugged with that idly mischievous spark twinkling behind his godless eyes, "You're still late."

"Whatever." I sighed, drawing my robes closer around myself to ward off the frigid fingers of wind that lapped at my skin. "Can we just get on with it, I'm freezing and it's getting late."

But Malfoy wasn't done yet, he played by his own rules, in his own time. This was his game that we played. No one could force him otherwise. With a flash of white and smug glee he smirked, "Nice broom, where'd you get it?"

"I know it was you." I said quietly, the whisper of words losing itself in in the hollows of the night.

He let out a low laugh, the rich sound rippling through me. I felt the bass of it resonate through my chest. "Maybe you're not as stupid as you look, Williams."

"You need to take it back. It's too much I can't accept it." I pushed the black broom into his arms, forcing him to take it. "-Besides I have nothing to give back in return."

There was a weightless moment where his fingers brushed mine as they wrapped around the broom handle, and I felt the rush of blood pounding in my ears, before he shoved it viciously back at me with a snarl. "You'll take whatever I damn well give you if it so pleases me."

"-I don't even know how to use it!"

"Why do you think we're here!" He hissed, and I had nothing to say in response. I felt just as stupid as I apparently looked, fists clenched tightly around the sturdy wood.

Malfoy looked down upon me with what could almost be classed as indignation, but behind that cold countenance peaked the slight glimmer of hope for what could very well be his redemption. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, something entirely foreign to the both of us, something warm, something kind, something that strayed away from the hellish intent he'd always harboured. Even he couldn't tell what it was, or what it could possibly become.

For now it was just the promise of a spark, but a spark could turn to a flame and a single flame was all it would take to trigger the inferno to destroy us all.
-It would be our undoing.

His wicked tongue dragged across the length of his teeth, shielding the smile he didn't dare show as he whispered with a mocking sneer, "You're a coward, Mara Williams."

I couldn't bring myself to shout, my chagrin words were just as hushed at his and quickly dissipated into the thick of the unending abyss that surrounded us as if they'd never even left my lips. "...And you're a liar, Draco Malfoy."

I quickly broke his gaze, staring down at the ground and braced myself in preparation for the hit. I waited and waited, expecting for my skin to sear with the strike at any given moment... But it never came.

"Look at me." He ordered but he'd lost that jovial edge in his tone, now he just sounded... Crestfallen? "You can't even stand to look me in the eyes, do I really disgust you that much?"

You could never disgust me... Those were the words I didn't dear speak, I could never show him a weakness like that. He was only doing this to find another angle to hurt me, they were all the same, because that's exactly what he used to do.