𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘𝐓𝐖𝐎|𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒

MARA WILLIAMS

Sleep did not come easy, I wouldn't settle gently into that goodnight, tossing and turning until eventually the nightmares came for me.

Cold eyes met colder hearts, a weightless moment between us where we could do nothing but look upon what our parents had cursed us with and dared to call it love.

We were Godless. Without care. Without thought.
Abandoned to this wasteland of lies and broken promises by the very ones bound to us by blood. If they'd ever really loved us, they would've have left us like this.

This was not love. I knew that much, what little affection I'd garnered from my mother before she was ripped from me was enough to tell me that.

Even he knew this wasn't love. Maybe that's why he sought out comfort in the bed of another the moment he'd left my side. I'd begged him not to go to England, but as usually my cries fell upon deaf ears. Our parents made us this way, his only fault was being a product of his father, a heavy fisted, bad tempered liar.
Right from the start we'd been doomed to fail, two hopelessly sick individuals brought together by the instinctive need for something more than what this life had given us. Even if we didn't say it, even if we shut it out, buried it deep beneath the unwavering austerity or the bitterness of a wicked youth, we could never rid ourselves of our most primal desires... To be loved.

The dark figure took a step towards me, running an eerily cold finger down my cheek. Our nature turned us against one another as if the whole world was against us, the wind curling it's frigid fingers around our throats, daring words to pierce the thin veil of silence. We were so desperate for love that we thought we'd found it one another, but yet love wasn't supposed to hurt like this.

Love didn't manifest itself in rage, in broken bones and bloodshot eyes, in fractured skin and bruised bodies. This wasn't love.

I knew it as I stared into Viktor's cold, dead eyes. I knew it with every agonised second that dragged by, now I was older, wiser.

We were oceans apart and still I couldn't drown my demons, for they had learned how to swim. Viktor's fingers slipped from my cheek, dragging all the way down to the base of my jaw where they wrapped around my throat, squeezing what little life remained. An all consuming scream manifested itself within my chest, awakening within me a cruel beast fuelled by grief and angst that raked its sharp claws down by throat and eyes, hitching the shriek within the hilt of my crop, unable to surpass his thick fist. It didn't dare go any further. Even sound shiver at the thought of the him.

My lungs seared with every staved pulse, a horrid fire scorching in my chest as I fought for breath.
Tears pricked my eyes as I clawed at his hands that ensnared my windpipe, he had always been stronger...

"Mara!"

I sat up with a jolt, cold sweat slicking my skin so that the silk covers coiled around my limbs like serpents and I panicked, thrashing to free myself.

I couldn't breathe, I clutched my throat expecting to still feel Viktor's fist around it, greedily gasping air between sobs. "Get away from me!" I shrieked at the dark figure looming over me, a hand outstretched, and I threw myself back against the headboard. "Get out!"

"Not until you tell me what the fucks going on!" A familiar voice hissed. The voice of the one person Hermione swore would protect me, and here he was to ward off the demons that woke in the night.

Snapping out of my hysteria I tried my best to still my thundering heart, slumping against the headboard and placing a shaking palm to my forehead. "-Sorry," I mumbled, "Just a bad dream..."