𝐒𝐈𝐗|𝐎𝐁𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐃

MARA WILLIAMS

  The whisper of light drifted beyond the tree line and into the black abyss beyond, and I trailed desperately after like a lost puppy.

  My first footfall had just surpassed the threshold of leaves, breaking the muted silence with an audible crunch, when strong arms wrapped around me from behind, pulling me back into a solid chest and snatching my wand from my hand.

  My screams were muffled by a callused hand that was thick with the smell of smoke and firewood. I dug my nails into the relentless palm but the pressure only increased as I was forced back.

I thrashed, kicking and struggling every wretched step of the way, the foreign male let out a low and audible grunt. Finally finding enough purchase, I bit down as hard as I could on one of his fingers.

"Fuck." He moaned. The pressure released entirely and I span around, ready to strike. A shiver ran down my spine at his curse and my skin prickled with red hot rage.
Eyes grey as a blade glared back at me as he clutched his injured finger, "You bit me!"

"What are you doing here, Malfoy." I hissed, careful to keep my voice down for fear of alerting others.
The boy rolled his shoulders and dropped his hand, instead crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned back against a tree. "I could ask you the same thing."

I flickered between his pale eyes, each just as relentlessly cold as the other. He shook his head slowly with a tut, "What would McGonagall say if she knew you were out of bed at this time?"

"She... She said I could." I lied, but my voice wasn't quite as strong as I hoped it would be, wavering slightly on the last notes.
And maybe it was my deep ingrained stubbornness but I refused to tear me eyes from his. I refused to be the first to look away.
—Though everything within me screamed to, I would not cower away from him.

He laughed. A rich, fluid sound that rolled off the forest and dripped in decedents from the leaves, costing my senses in the thick gold resonance.
"Did she now?" He said with a the shadow of a smirk as he toyed with my wand between his narrow fingers.

"Yes..." Tilting my chin upwards I replied sternly. "Give me my wand."

"So..." He drawled slowly, blanching back as I made a move to snatch my wand from him. "Let me get this straight... McGonagall gave you, permission to not only be out past curfew, but also enter the Forbidden Forest... All by yourself? Makes perfect sense."

"—The Forbidden Forest?" My eyes widened.
Maybe it was a good thing Malfoy stopped me. My mind instantly went to Percy, cold and alone, stranded in the middle of the Forbidden Forest.

"You're looking for something..." He stated sharply. "What is it?"

"None of your business." I growled, but he only chuckled, "It is if you want your wand back."
Causing me to press a hand to my aching forehead, "Percy. He ran off... Fuck."

The air around us crackled with tension, ready to ignite at the slightest spark as he said darkly,
"—A boy..."

"—Well have you ever met a girl called Percy?" I snapped without thinking. "—Have you seen him?"

Malfoy became the embodiment of hostile, his once relaxed demeanour hardening into a tense, cold countenance as he pushed off the tree, practically chucking my wand at me. "No."