𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘|𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐓

MARA WILLIAMS

My fingers still shook as I ran to my room, tearing my clothes from the wardrobes and ripping my possessions from every draw. I hurriedly shoved everything I could into my bag, but Draco had put away my main trunks somewhere else and I didn't have time to search for them now.
-I needed to get out of here, and fast.

My eyes stung with tears that blurred my vision but I held them back, I would remain strong, I was no longer the frightened little girl I once was and I had already cried a river of tears for my father after he'd left, he didn't deserve a single more.

I moved into the bathroom, grabbing every perfume, deodorant and lipgloss in sight and when I returned to the bedroom, Draco stood by the door, looking just as dishevelled as I felt, chest heaving wildly.

Blood trailed from his split lip and his eyes were wide and fearful in a way I'd never seen before as he breathed, "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" I spat, not looking up at him as I forced the jumper Hermione had given me into the bag. "-I'm leaving."

"No you're not." He positioned himself in the doorway, firmly blocking my only exit as I went to leave. "You can't!" His eyes searched mine in desperation, agony creeping in to cloud the pale irises. "-I won't let you!"

"Watch me." I said darkly, shoving my wand into my back pocket and hoisting the weighty bag onto my shoulder.

"You have nowhere else to go!" He hissed, turning cold but I was not about to back down, he didn't frighten me anymore now that I knew it was all just an act. Anger burned like a bitter fire within my chest, coursing thick through my veins to scorch my lungs with wicked breath.

I pushed my face close to his, and in his eyes I could see every secret he never dared to speak, I could see right through to his greatest fears; the fear of being alone, abandonment, the fear of love.
I didn't need to shout as I spoke, I could've whispered and it would've still been enough to destroy him, completely and utterly. And in this moment, I only wanted to hurt him. I wanted him to feel pain, just as I had. "...Anywhere's better than spending another second here with you."

-And there it was. The agony I had hoped for, that aching breaking feeling as his heart shattered before my feet. He pleaded with his eyes, crying out without words to say what no one could but someone must, as what had once been our feelings were carried away in the wind like foreign dust.

"Mara please," Draco begged, and I could've sworn I'd seen a tear crawl down his pale cheek, glistening like a star in the dim light. "I'm not like them..."

"-Not like them? Draco you're fucking one of them!" I shoved him back hard against the doorframe, and for once he didn't fight back, he didn't do anything, he just looked broken. A shaking shell of the boy he once was. "I don't even know who you are any more... You lied to me, you're not who I thought you were..."

His face contorted with every stab of every syllable I spoke, "I'm exactly who you think I am, please just listen to me!"

I grabbed his forearm, tearing the bandage from his wrist and holding it up to the light. I knew what I expected to see, but it didn't make it hurt any less.
My heart tore itself in two over and over again with every crestfallen glance. "-Are you? Because this is not the boy I knew!" Tears blurred my vision and I could've sworn I'd felt something within me break at the sight of him looking so tormented by his own demons. "...Who have you been all this time that I've been living a lie?"