𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓|𝐃𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐄

MARA WILLIAMS

A sharp pang of hunger struck me as I waited amongst the other try outs before the quidditch captain, Angelina Johnson, and I was beginning to regret skipping breakfast. I hadn't meant to, but when I'd sat down at the table the mere thought of food in that moment made me feel nauseated.

Food was all I could think of as she spoke up. "As many of you already know, Harry, Fred and George have been banned by Umbridge from playing, so we're looking for new beaters and a seeker."

There was a brief whisper amongst students before she shouted for silence.

"Step forwards when I can your name and state the position you wish to play." She barked at the crowd and I felt my stomach drop with angst. "Catarina Jones."

An extraordinarily pale girl shuffled forth and mumbled something that sounded like the word 'beater.' She was so blindingly white I wondered if she even had blood...

"Over there." Angelica directed her to a small group on the right. "Mara Williams."

My palms were sweaty as I gripped my broom and separated myself from the crowd. "Seeker."
Angelina studied me briefly, her eyes crawling from my face down my robes before dragging them back up again. "Here. You're with me."

Moving to stand behind her I waited and watched as everybody was sorted into two opposing teams of seven, each with at least two established players and the rest of the chaser and keeper spaces were filled by the reserve substitutes.

"Are you ready?" Angelina asked, "Just play a simple straightforwards match, it doesn't matter who wins, we just want to see how you play so no pressure."

There were only two of us trying out for seeker positions, me and another pig-faced girl with blotchy red cheeks and auburn hair. I shot her an awkward smile as we took to the sky and she glared in return.
Nice, I thought. This was going to be an absolute shit show.

I moved into the formation that Draco had taught me, Angelina's team on one side, the other directly opposite as Madame Hooch stepped out onto the field.

"Remember, keep it clean. I don't want any nastiness from any of you." She shouted before she opened the struggling trunk and released the snitch and bludgers.
I tried my best to keep my eyes focused on the slight flash of gold but it zipped and skittered around the sky like a loose cannon.

With a screech of the whistle Madame Hooch threw the quaffle high into the air and the teams exploded upon one another, kicking and spitting in a bid for the ball.
Instantly I took off in the direction I'd last seen the snitch and the pig faced girl followed suit as fast as her Nimbus 2001 would allow. It was no match for my Firebolt.
I studied the sky frantically for a flash but found only milky white clouds. My slick palms slipped on my broom as I swerved violently to avoid a well aimed bludger from one of the beaters, and I felt my heart leap into my throat as I tried to steady myself.

I was only thrown off guard for a moment. -But a moment was all it took for the other seeker to whiz past me as she spotted the snitch somewhere off by the stands.
Pressing myself flat to my broom I raced after her right as she was nearing the practically empty stands.

A pair of eyes captured mine, and just like that I was ensnared in his piercing gaze. A flash of white blonde hair, a glimpse of a cruel snarl before he was blocked from my view. Focus.
-But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't unsee his haunting grey eyes.
He was watching me, and I felt his eyes before I saw them, hot and pressing, making my skin crawl. He shouldn't be here, was my first thought, but he wasn't alone. Blaise Zabini sat on one side of him and Pansy Parkinson on the other, as well as another girl, Millicent Bullstrode, and two burley boys I didn't recognise.