𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍|𝐅𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋

MARA WILLIAMS

Every tick of the clock was like a dagger to my heart, every strike signalling one less moment together.

Last night, as if slept safely in his arms I'd dreamed that I was walking the halls of Malfoy Mansion alone in the dead of night, hesitating before that locked door once again... This time an amber light emanated from behind it along with a soft hissing.

Kneeling, I levelled my eye to the keyhole and peered inside. There was the silhouette of the cage again, but this time I could just about make out what was inside... I pulled away to rub my eyes and when I looked back through the lock a piercing yellow eye stared back at me. I jolted awake.

"Another nightmare?" Draco asked as he traced his fingers down the length of my spine. "...I hate bad dreams..."

"Something like that." I mumbled, dragging a palm across my forehead, trying to rid the images that plagued my mine of that horrid snake-like eye.

• • •

"Can I look yet?" I couldn't help the smile that tugged at the edges of my lips as he led me blindfolded through the manor. Anxious anticipation gnawed at the pit of my stomach, only dulled by the feeling of his strong body pressing into me from behind, guiding me as he rasped against the side of my neck, "Don't you dare. Not until I tell you."

I felt as though we'd become much closer since the previous night, we'd stayed awake for hours before the fire, just talking, before we slept in one another's arms, this time with a renewed sense of security in one another's company.

"What if I fall?" I laughed as I stumbled over something but Draco caught me and I could feel the grin on his lips as he pressed a kiss to my hair. "You won't I promise, I've got you."

He pulled me gently to a halt but didn't push away, instead his arms wrapped around my waist from behind as he whispered, "Open your eyes."

I pulled the blindfold down, and for a moment I blinked profusely as my eyes struggled to adjust to the bright light. My mouth fell open.
A thousand lights twinkled like stars, illuminating the manor with each tiny flickering glow. "-Oh my God..."

In the centre of it all, a Christmas tree that was at least twenty feet tall, ginormous enough that the silver star mounted at the apex almost brushed the manors high vaulted ceiling. Red, gold and green baubles glinted beneath the fairy lights, reflecting off the tinsel that snaked from the trunk to the tip.

Draco rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, "Do you like it?"

I couldn't help but stare at him dumbfounded, unable to react or process the pious sight that beheld me, before I threw myself at him, wrapping my arms around his neck and placing a chaste kiss on his cheek. "It's perfect!"

• • •

Draco spent the next few hours chopping logs for the fire, whilst I watched hungrily from the window above as he swung the axe high above his head.
His arms flexed and the taught muscles of his back shifted as he brought it down, hard. Who knew something so mundane could have me so hot and bothered... Just the sight of him alone had me tingling to my core, and begging for more.

He was driving me crazy.

So much so that the moment I saw him set the axe down before and begin carrying armfuls of heavy logs effortlessly inside I jumped up from my perch to intercept him, one thing and one thing alone on my mind... To sate the urge that roared inside of me.

I quickly dragged a brush through my wild hair and sprayed myself with some perfume, all the while my untamed thoughts only served to further fuel my fire. I caught sight of him coming up the stairs right as I left my room, though it could hardly be considered my room anymore as I'd spent almost every night bar the first in Draco's.