𝐓𝐖𝐎|𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄'𝐒 𝐒𝐌𝐎𝐊𝐄

MARA WILLIAMS

The air around me exploded with cheers and yips from the centre table. Gryffindor.
  Two boys with flaming red hair jumped to their feet, shouting something and patting me vigorously on the back as they lead me back to the table but I couldn't hear them over the noice of the hall.

  You'll regret it, the sorting hats final words to me echoed throughout the empty caverns of my mind.
  What did it mean? Or was it just trying to scare me?

Parvati waved me over, telling the boy besides her to budge up to make room for me to sit.

"Congratulations!" She jeered, engulfing me in a massive hug. I froze, sitting there awkwardly for a moment before I remembered where I was and embraced her back.
  You're okay, a small voice within me whispered, you're safe here, Dermstrang is the other side of the world. He cant hurt you here.

  "Thank you." I said quietly. Parvati turned to the boy besides her, "This is Neville."

  The boy gave an awkward smile, "Hey." He moved as if to shake my hand but instead knocked over a goblet brimming with red liquid into the lap of the girl next to him.

  "Neville!" She shrieked, jumping for her feet. "You great oaf!"

  Neville shrunk back, "I'm so sorry Hermione, I didn't mean to it was an accident!"
  The two boys sat opposite Hermione began to snigger, "Nice one Neville."

  I gave Parvati a nudge under the table, slightly tipping my head in the direction of the two boys.
  "Who're they?"

  "Who are they?!" She whispered, "Are you joking? That's Ron Weasly and Harry Potter, and that girl there," She discretely motioned to the girl Neville had just drenched, "—Is Hermione Granger."

  I shrugged, "Never heard of them."
  But it was a lie, I recognised one of the names.
  —Hermione Granger.

  My fists gripped the edge of the table, to prevent them from wrapping them in the girls messy hair and wrestling her to the floor.
  So this was the girl that he obviously thought was better than me.
  More worthy of his affection than me.
  —Prettier than me.

  I sat up abruptly as a stab of pain shot through my chest. The already fragmented shards of my heart moving to pierce my lungs so that I couldn't breathe.

  "Hey." A soft voice said, and I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Are you ok? You look..."

  "—I'm fine."

  I was always fine.

  I shot one last resentful glance at the mousy haired girl. I loved him, so completely and utterly it had taken over my entire being. My whole life evolved around trying to please him, so why was I still not good enough for him?

  It didn't matter anymore. He didn't matter anymore, or at least that's what I tried to tell myself.
  He was the other side of the world, oceans between us, yet still he plagued my thoughts like a deadly disease.

  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the dark haired boy with thick rimmed glasses, Harry I think his name was, staring at me. When he realised I had seen him he looked down at his hands embarrassed, and his ginger friend shot me a knowing smirk.

  All of a sudden I felt my skin begin to burn, and a shiver ran down my spine for no apparent reason, the fine hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.

  "What was that about?" Parvati laughed, obviously noticing the exchange. "I think you might've gained an admirer."

  I brushed it off with a chuckle pretending not to notice, "Who? Harry?"