Chapter 53 ~ Loose Ends In Shambles

12th of July 1802

~William's pov~

Walking down the familiar street that has engrained its memory in my mind, I looked around at the sights. My job as a simple church worker was more than mundane to most.

The earlier morning hours spent preparing liturgies and other times the finances of the church. Although bred a religious family, my now former belief in God was never strong. I looked upon science instead; science offered truth with evidence behind each basis of knowledge it inspired. Seemingly outshining all other religions of the world.

As I walked throughout the streets my eyes caught upon the face of Felix. It had been a while since I had communicated with my old friend ever since the incident and my emphatic soul longed for rekindling my bond with him, or at least a line of communication.

I breathed in the cold air and my feet treded against the pathway, my eyes peering ahead as I forced words to form in the valley of my mouth. "Mr Beilschmidt!" I called outreaching my arm towards him. Felix turned around and looked at me, his amber eyes a fixed on me.

His attire was immaculate, –a far cry from his usual sloppy appearance– formed from a newfound sense of professionalism by proxy of his new government position. He smiled slightly fazed at me and fixed his posture. "Mr Seabury, funny seeing you." He smiled. I chuckled softly and stood a foot away from him. "I heard that you have a seat in government, quite impressive if I do say so myself." I grinned.

Felix chuckled and pulled out his pocket watch and looked back towards me, "Pardon me my dear friend but it seems that I need to get going, I shall speak to you in the near future." he replied. I peered at him closer and pondered to myself.

"Where might you be going Mr Beilschmidt?" I questioned. Felix grinned and held his suitcase closer to his figure. "A meeting, I am going to discuss matters with Mr Frederick and his brother." He replied. My stomach dropped slightly and my face froze, my soul centred mind couldn't fathom such betrayal that I didn't even notice Felix walking away. I tried walking towards him but knew it was no use.

I folded my arms back and sighed, such a conflict of interest. Was I to tell others of the conspiracy and risk my friend and dear cousins lives? Or must I keep to myself and risk diminishing the country in its early days? I sighed in frustration and looked ahead to see Felix walking into a two-storey building just across the street. I held my head up high and fashioned my stride towards the entrance of the building.

If I were to decide in the strenuous task ahead, I would need influence for my key decision on the matter, so that it may deem probable that I choose the best option. I stumbled across the paved entrance and enticed myself as I peered into the building.

I walked inside and noticed the emptiness of the building. I quickly hushed myself towards the corridor; I turned my head and saw three figures at the end of the hall. They appeared to be conversing in front of a slightly ajar door, the light peering in slightly and illuminating the figure enough to see the features of each of the men.

I crept towards them and each of them strolled into the room. I quickly scrambled closer, not noticing that Frederick was still outside the room. He smiled at me as I turned my head, the sinister grin of betrayal as he slowly shut the door.

The sound of wood signalled that I would not be able to enter; I lifted myself off my knees and headed towards the door. I pressed myself gently against the wall and tried to make out a single sentence, enough to conscrew evidence –or rebuttal– to my ever-changing opinion on the matters of the conspiracy.

To my undefinable misfortune, I had no hope of hearing a single detail of the conversation. It was frustrating of course but I could give up on my country, not after the blood has been shed and the people killed as debt for the land we maim.

I breathed in and slowly backed away from the door. I walked down the dim corridor and back towards the entrance softly repeating words to myself.

"His eyes once full of bright tone."

I grabbed the door handle and placed my foot gently on the bricks as I drew in another breath.

"Sapphires bound his face."

I turned around the building, inspect around the building and finding a window that corresponded with the room that Felix nested himself in.

As much betrayal hurt me I knew that whatever they were up to it was with no good intentions for the country I call home.

"His creator pulled the stones."

I found a small window and peered inside to find that the entrance was closed in. My eyes widened and I slumped against the brick of the building. I didn't know what to do, the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness engulf me. In defeat, I recollected myself and started reciting a poem my father always read to me that he was given from a young boy he knew.

His eyes once a full bright tone
Sapphires bound his face
His creator pulled the stones
Putting ash in their place

Upon his head rest gold
Given to him by birth his right
A mothers gentle touch
A lie to big for a heart too small

The world cold, his majesty sees
A comet in the sky in blue tones
A father, a mother, love unrequited
The pressure, the pain in all my refrain

Gentle by his dreams so bright
He hears his mother scream each night
The year to far his being stung
A baby boy who's fate been hung

Like father like son, the crown goes on
To burden the next with insanity to knew
Who once a baby with bright blue eyes
Now seems to know that each eye lies