Chapter 44 ~ Willow Bound My Salvage

(I felt like writing about Frederick, Charles and Matilda's early childhood, so here is a very wholesome and heart-warming chapter, no flex tape need at all my friends.)

18th of June 1784

~Frederick's pov~

It was nice under the willow tree. Mother always made the time to read a story to us under the tree, even now when she had to look after my baby brother.

Charles was very boring, he didn't even talk at all. He looked sick which was why my "dad" and mother fawned over him at every second. To them, he was their precious angel who's wings were too weak to fly, while Matilda and I were stuck having to listen to their cooing and awing over him.

I love my baby brother regardless, but it annoyed me how hyper fixated my parents, especially my "father". Either way, when my mother told us stories, there was no fondling of my brother supposed greatness, instead, I couldn't listen to my mother's melodic like voice and lull gently to sleep.

Right now I leaned against the trunk of the willow tree. The tree overlooked a small pond where a group of ducks had made their home. Matilda had two small ducklings in her arms and she played around with them as well as myself.

I picked up one of the small balls of fluff and shuffled towards my mother who was reading a book while gently rocking my brother to sleep. My hands skidded gently against the slightly damp dirt staining my hands and pants brown as I reached my hand out and placed the ducking on Charles.

"Frederick, what are you doing?" She chuckled slightly. I smiled and pointed at Charles, "I wanna see how if the duckling likes Charles." I replied. My mother chuckled and ruffled my hair, I grinned slightly and watched as Charles opened his eyes and looked at the duck.

His pale blue eyes widened slightly and he looked to my mother, my mother smiled and Charles giggled reaching out his tiny fists towards the duck. "Look mum, Charles likes the duck!" I exclaimed. My mother scoffed playfully and watched Charles try to grab the duckling, the duck was scared and walked away from Charles.

I quickly picked up the duck and held it close to my chest as Charles gurgled and babbled, I looked at Charles, standing in front of him and stuck out my tongue.

"Ha, the duck doesn't like you."I giggled. Charles's face went red and he began to cry, my mother's eyes widened and she gently hushed him as she moved deeper under the cover of the tree.

"Shh, Charles." She hushed. Charles continued to sob as I looked down at him, my mother's face turned to me slightly frustrated as she quickly grabbed the duckling. "He can't hear us, Charles, otherwise he'll find us." She whispered. I turned my head slightly confused and the sound of footsteps behind me made me flinch.

I looked and saw my "father" smiling and standing next to Matilda. My eyes wandered to my mother and I heard her mutter under her breath.

"Crap he found us." her voice tensed.

My heart began thumping slightly and I quickly backed up to the tree. My "father" looked at us confused and smiled sitting himself next to my mother.

My mother's face became pale and she flinched away from my "father", he in turn grinned and grabbed her waist tightly.

He then looked down at Charles, smiling and trying to cheer him up. "It's okay my baby boy, Daddy's here." He whispered. Charles looked up at my "father" and his crying almost immediately ceased. My father smirked softly and kissed my mother just beneath her ear.

I looked at them uncomfortably and noticed my father's face becoming red. He then turned to me and looked at the gap in the cascading arrangement or leaves, "It's getting late, Frederick can you take your brother and your sister to their rooms." He smiled.

I stood up uneasily and nodded, taking Charles from him and gesturing Matilda to my side. My father grinned and pulled my mother up, holding her arm tight enough for it to become slightly red.

My mother tried flinching away from him but my father's grip was too strong, he whispered slightly his words to indiscreet for me yo decipher as they both walked towards the palace.

I followed after them as my feet tapped against the cobbled path. I then noticed the sound of sobbing, my eyes glanced at my mother who seemed to be struggling while muttering incoherently. My father meanwhile had a completely different expression, his face was blushed with red and his breath seemed deep and warm.

I was so confused to what was happening that I didn't even notice we were back in the palace. My eyes darted around as I observed the brightly lit hall, I then looked to my parents who were walking towards their room.

I noticed my mother had a face to of destress as my father pulled her up the stairs. I felt my heart sink slightly in concern as I turned to walk towards my siblings' room. I breathed in slightly and wandered into another room.

I heard a faint yelling of a woman in my ears as I scattered along the red carpet. Matilda looked up at me slightly scared and held my hand tighter, "Frederick is mommy okay?" She questioned. I stayed silent and looked forward, I knew answering wasn't going to help.

It wasn't the first time something like this happened.